Just figured this was normal and never tried to do anything about it until I read that it is also a TMS equivilant. So I'm confused that it did not go away on it's own since I never sought treatment for it, and never really paid any attention to it.
Renee, this is the TMS mechanism doing its job. If I've learned one thing from doing this work, it is that the brain mechanism that Dr. Sarno labeled "TMS" is not really a condition to be cured - it's a very primitive brain mechanism that was designed to keep our primitive ancestors safe in a very unsafe world. It's not a very good mechanism, but at least it can be controlled with knowledge. What I like to say is that I've developed a different relationship with my TMS so that I'm no longer afraid of symptoms when they happen to appear, and if they get in the way, I know how to control or banish them so they no longer interfere with my life.
I think that the idea behind the TMS mechanism is that if your consciousness is bogged down with emotional turmoil, you will not be paying attention to the sabre-tooth tiger waiting to eat you. So your brain suppresses negative and dangerous emotions and gives you a little bit of physical pain instead - just to keep you worried and on your toes.
Does it work? Maybe in primitive times when the world was dangerous and life was short. But in today's relatively safe world, when we have to plan for lengthy lifespans, and when the daily distractions are relational, territorial or financial rather than life-and-death - not only is TMS not very effective, it can be very damaging for certain individuals. Add on to that the fact that today's distractions (relational, territorial, and financial) are kind of guaranteed to produce negative emotions - which means more stuff to be repressed by our brains. Which means more TMS symptoms being suffered - and it's no wonder we seem to have an epidemic of chronic conditions, anxiety, and depression.
So the tinnitus is there because you have TMS. As does everyone. Your brain is constantly repressing stuff, whether it needs to or not. And yeah, anxiety is just another form of TMS - presumably because it's better to be generally anxious and worried about what's around you than to be totally distracted by deeper negative emotions. From my own personal experience, I believe that you have to conquer anxiety in order to conquer the rest of your TMS symptoms, because it feeds into the vicious cycle so well.
Your confusion is not helped by the fact that the symptoms of TMS and the recovery from TMS are so different for each and every one of us.