1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A word about outcome independence

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for writing clearly what I think it was! Even if a nurse on a phone service wanted me to go to the emergency.
    I get these acute back pain, usually lower left every few months since twenty years. Usually two osteopath tratements would get me ok but it keeps coming back. Since i read drSarno it’s like the osteopath does not work anymore...
    I was bedridden from severe pain. After three days with anti-inflammatoires and muscle relaxers and rest I am starting to move a bit in the house but I get tired ( physically, after the muscle tension ‘protecting’ from the pain and emotionally).
    Meanwhile I am enjoying being able to lie down often. It has been two years that if I lie down during the day my stomach buldges horribly and hurts. Totally Tms of course. It’s exchaustong never be able to lie down and often having trouble falling alsleep with the pain. So I am totally at least enjoying lying down most of the day :).
    I have pain since twenty years and unfortunately last December I had scans that confirmed I had some stuff that matches the place of the main pain and my family doctor freaked out that I have to watch out or else i will paralyse. I think I would have paralyzed before... but bleehhh my anxiety was not helped.
    But I still hope since it’s not always so bad that it’s not structural andI am used to move well and protect this area but because it’s tms...

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  2. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

It's better to lie down for a nap. If you're not napping, it's better to stay active. I find designating parts of a room or house to have a different use is really nice.

3. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

I napped like a baby for a week now.
    One of my old tms friends- stomach aches- decided for the last year and a half that if I lay down it will cramp horribly. So I was resting standing up for the last year and a half.
    Being bedridden because of acute back pain I noticed the stomach gave me a break. Since a week, I manage it with breathing and sometimes a heating pad and I am able to nap during the day :). With all the learning to calm fears in my head my body feels ready to nap all day long. Even straight after coffee hihi
    I try to associate one nice activity per room. I managed to crochet in my office a bit I am so happy !! standing, not sitting yet, I don’t want to trigger my fear. I practice sitting almost pain free for eating for now.
    I know usually you want to get active fast but when I tried I got so much pain I was passing out. I don’t think it’s a good idea in my case, it just got my pain a huge boost.
    I am always on the run, since I remember. Actually staying calmly in bed, thinking, feeling, enjoying sloooowww is such a new good feeling.
    I think my body used this last severe pain to scream at me to learn to relax, finally. i am enjoying this new inactivity so much, I can’t believe it’s not a good way. I have no idea but but it feels like this.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  4. CAC1977

CAC1977 New Member

What an amazing post. Nearly ten years later and here I am. What I find so encouraging—besides the gist of outcome independence—is that Alan states we will revert back to outcome dependence, but don't worry! just pick up the next day/time and keep right on going. I can get SO discouraged when I have a bad day, or feel I'm failing because I feel I took two steps backwards, that I'll never really get better…but I just have to keep reminding myself to not measure everything all the time. Just do the best I can in the moment and keep going.

Zuz likes this.
  5. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Next step: staying relaxed while resting, moving, eating, or working out! Saves the symptoms a lot.

Zuz likes this.