1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Are there other forums for TMS? Why such lack of resources?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JTinLA, Jun 8, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

I have a feeling that people have to come to it themselves.
    Rational Recovery changed my husband's life (and thus mine as well). He was drinking daily and not able to stop. If I had found it and mentioned it to him he probably would have scoffed it off. Instead, he happen to read about it --- in a fiction book of all places! One of the characters in the book used Rational Recovery to stop drinking. Husband was curious, looked it up, found a PowerPoint that you go through about it. And literally, I kid you not, he stopped drinking after going through the PowerPoint. End of story. That was about 20 years ago.

Ellen, miffybunny, Sita and 1 other person like this.
  2. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

Wow! That’s an amazing story!

Booble likes this.
  3. Booble

It really is. He said it was like a lightbulb going off in his head when he realized he could simply choose to never drink again.
    No victimhood. No meetings. No religion. Just tell the beast inside that you control the arms and hands and you are choosing to not pick up a drink again. Sorry, beast. Your excuses and pleading and prodding and negotiating aren't going to work.
    It was quite miraculous.

Diana-M likes this.
  4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

This was actually part of a discussion on NPR today - on various ways to "turn off your brain". They talked about Rational Recovery and simply changing your mind to stop drinking.

5. Booble

Oh really? Thanks. I will look for that segment on NPR.
    I don't think I would have believed it if I didn't see it for myself. I used the term "lightbulb going off" but what he had said was it was like a light switch. He read the Powerpoint, understood what it was saying and boom he stopped drinking.
    I've gone through the Powerpoint too and have applied it in TMS-y type ways. Understanding that primitive part of the brain is a game changer.

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Whew - that was a lot of great reading to catch up on, y'all. What a terrific conversation- I am LOVING it.

I better give credit to @JTinLA for starting it ;)

Booble likes this.