1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bath Ritual - Thinking physical?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Michael Reinvented, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Michael Reinvented

Michael Reinvented Peer Supporter

I would appreciate some feedback on this.

One of the best stress relievers I have discovered in recent months is a warm bath, pre sleep.

As my lower back/hips/legs/feet feel wound up tight, I have added magnesium sulphate, which is known to relieve tense muscles.

Am I adding to the Loop of physical thinking with this daily activity, OR can this indulgence be seen as merely being kind to yourself? Would reading Dr Sarno simultaneously under get me around the "Physicality" of the bath?

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

If baths are something that you enjoy and that help you with all-over relaxation, that sounds great.

If you feel like you have to take baths because there is something structurally wrong with you (tight muscles), then you might find yourself slowly letting go of the baths as you work more on the psychological.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Baths, hot-tubbing, saunas - they are all great ways to relax, with or without the epsom salts. Hot baths are known to lower blood pressure, and magnesium supplements are known as a sleep aid (but watch out for the side effects - think Philip's Milk of Magnesia :eek:) My ex loves any kind of water soak, no matter how he feels - it was just a part of his evening ritual several times a week. I don't care for hot tubbing (too hot) but a night-time shower does wonders for me at the end of a particularly bad day - I like to wash away all of the negative feelings.

But instead of thinking about your areas of pain and tension, it would be a really good time to practice your visualizations, affirmations, and positive self-talk, or maybe listen to a CD of affirmations.

I'm using Alan Gordon's "I don't care whether the pain is there or not" quite effectively these days. It's amazingly powerful.

Jan