1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bessel Van Der Kolk's - The body keeps the score

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Adamrex, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pspa

pspa Well known member

I agree with you. Fear, at least for many of us, is at the core of all this. What ron siegel calls the fear pain fear cycle or recursive loop.

Chizzy likes this.
  2. Chizzy

Chizzy Peer Supporter

I believe as humans, if we believe in something enough we can make it happen. This is one of the reasons I feel like we're all able to heal from this with different methods and beliefs. I'm going to sign off now, taking my son down to Lindbergh Field in San Diego to watch the airplanes take off. Love you guys, have a great night!

3. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Thanks for posting this book by B VDK. Once a few years back he was a keynote presenter at a conference I attended. He has done some fascinating research. At the time he was relating that EMDR was a great way to work on psychiatric issues because of how it changed the way our brain responded to issues that were processed, e.g. trauma memories. He had TONS of slides and rambled a bit, but was nevertheless very informative. This same conference also had as a presenter, Candace Pert. She had also done some great research on trauma, but unfortunately did not live too many years longer.
    I plan on reading "The Body Keeps the Score" soon. So much has been uncovered about the brain in the last 20 years. (So much more to be found too, I'm sure)
    Lainey

4. pspa

pspa Well known member

When i saw him i asked about emdr and he said not to bother. Nf was the only thing that possibly could help me.

5. Chizzy

Chizzy Peer Supporter

It sounds like you had a negative experience with him. I wonder what his point of view on the experience with you would be like? Perception is everything. I take everything I hear with a grain of salt from all doctors, therapists, and bloggers....

6. pspa

pspa Well known member

How can you have a successful therapeutic relationship with someone whose every word you take with a grain of salt? I at least went in with a trusting attitude although i came back feeling as you do, about him anyhow.

7. Chizzy

Chizzy Peer Supporter

It works for me, that is the point I am trying to make... We all need to find our own paths. Some of us completely putting our trust and our future in someone else's hands is one way to heal, works for some. For others, like myself, trusting myself and using selective pieces I have learned from others to come up with a way to heal ME has worked for me. When you have gone through what I have gone through growing up starting at 4 years old (sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, mental abuse, drug abuse, 9 years of incarceration, overcoming 6 felonies to become a Sr. Human Resources Analyst) you don't believe or trust everything you hear, lot's of BS in the world.... I actually have a therapist that I work with for my Complex PTSD that I trust fully. She has over 30 years of sobriety, and was horrifically abused as a child so we have much in common, we have a strong connection.... Learning to trust oneself is a prime tool for healing, eliminates a fraction of the fear factor IMO. Unfortunately, when you talked about a bad experience that you had, I don't know you, therefore I'm not going to believe everything you say. What I do know, is that the doctor who wrote this magnificent book, provided information I can trust, because I thoroughly relate to every single chapter. There is no reason for me to meet the doctor, because everything I need to know was provided in the book. I'm allowing ME to trust myself with the information that was provided. I don't find a reason for ME to need to visit this doctor because I would still be searching for answers that were already provided.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    plum and Eugene like this.
  8. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hello All,

I am continually amazed at the quality of the books and resources I learn about on this forum. I just read this book and I found it to be really helpful. I just wanted to say thank you for recommending it!

AC45