1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Daniel L. Coping with back spasms

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Muscle spasm:
    Hi, i am experiencing really bad muscle spam in one small part of my upper back.. Its that bad its dropping me to my knees. It just hits me out of know where and impacting on my life i.e walk, bend, drive, toilet. It started in the morning (today), i had small back pain when going bed last night. Happening every few minutes if i don't lye down. I am a full TMSer, read all books, videos, seen therapist, basically know my stuff and have beat many TMS symptoms. I never had such an acute attack and not sure what to do? yes the pain/spasm is psychological induced but the spasm is real, my wife said she can see it on my back. I can't really function now. Should i use heat treatment and a remedial massage to unlock this muscle? to get me back on my feet or be patient and apply TMS treatment i.e mindfulness, journal etc... I tried doing normal actives but it keeps dropping me to my knees. I even washed my car whilst the spasm when nuts. I am being positive, not allowing fear, anxiety or hopelessness (i am in a really good place, actually laughing at it) just not sure what to do?? is it possible to be actually physical induced?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2015
  2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    I don’t say this with everyone, but in your case, I want you to do both physical and psychological interventions. If massage makes you feel better, then go for it. If heat treatment helps, then go for it. Sometimes we can be too hard on ourselves to be purists to TMS, when it’s also healthy to just be nice to yourself physically.

If you absolutely can’t do normal activities, then go easy on yourself. If you can take it easy and not obsess about the symptoms, then you’re fine. If you find that you only obsess about your symptoms when you give yourself some down time, then it’s best to stay busy with as many normal activities as you can.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Toprale

Toprale New Member

having the same exact problem...
    spasms send me to the floor...
    Have you gotten any better?

Ale