1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Program Day 1: Introduction

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Livinginhope

Livinginhope Peer Supporter

Glad to be a part of this and looking forward to being open and painfree.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, @Livinginhope, thanks for saying hello. Feel free to post your experiences in each thread as you go along. It's always nice to see how people are doing. (If you have time, I think that reading other people's posts is definitely worth doing.)

I think you'll love this program. It teaches very helpful skills and gives you a new way to look at your TMS. Are you planning on going through the entire thing, one day per step?

3. Livinginhope

Thank you, Forrest. I have just completed the SEP and am starting to work with a TMS therapist. After looking at Alan's video with a woman with neck pain, I pretended that I was the client and decided to work on my knee, which is the newest pain that I have. I finished doing what Alan said the other woman should do, and walked up stairs and didn't think about it. My knee problem has been primarily on going down the stairs. This is only the newest of the group of pains that I have and not what I started this program for, but thought that perhaps the newest ailment might be the easiest to impact. I was amazed that when I walked down the stairs, I had no pain. So I walked down another set of stairs; still no pain. I was worried that it would return today when I woke up, but so far, still no knee pain. Yay! Of course, I have started having some tooth pain, instead! Lucky that I have so many willing body parts.

4. Abhishek

Abhishek New Member

Hey everyone, I'm excited to start this! I first came across this website 3 years back when I had acute back pain. Used the resources here and counselling with Daniel Lyman, and I was pain free in a few months.

I've recently been developing migraines and I've had had chronic neck stiffness for almost 10 years now. I'm hoping to re-train myself to fight TMS and excited to do this program.

5. Laleah Shoo Shoo

Laleah Shoo Shoo Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,
    I wonder where the revised 21 day program is situated on these forums . I would love to go through this again (and again ;-)

Perhaps this time, i'll contribute. This was the first time (while involved in any sort of group for recovery or otherwise) where i remained silent. I was a bit tired of hearing about what's been occurring with me these past several years (debilitating pain, now SO much better!!!) and then decades of pretty debilitating panic attacks. I am dedicated to healing and resetting all of this, understanding fully how so many physical manifestations are attributed to TMS. So, this time i wanted only to listen (read) and oh what a wonderful, beautifully thought-out and cohesive 21 day offering! Thank you, thank you ...each and every one of you!

Attending to ALL feelings, especially the ones i resist :) Loving that too. Loving 'what is'. This is one KEY i know works ~ allowing the flow of Life to pass on through us. Mmmmmm To Life! "Here's looking at you, kids!" (more cyber winks ;-) xoxox

Ellen likes this.
  6. Laleah Shoo Shoo

****"Here's looking at you, kid!" was a line from Casablanca...for younger people on the forums, who may not know that reference. Thought to mention that, in case that seemed like a very odd thing to say, haha. Have a grand day xoxox

7. Forest

That's terrific news, @Livinginhope! Even if it does return, you know you have a powerful new tool at your disposal.

Welcome, @Abhishek. I think it's great to have someone who has had therapy doing the program. It will add another dimension to your understanding of what you read. I look forward to reading your comments.

8. Livinginhope

I had my first session last week, by phone. I knew within the first five minutes that it was a good fit, so I am cautiously optimistic about moving forward. I am happy to report how things are going as I progress.

9. hambone

hambone Peer Supporter

Who was your session with, if I may ask?

10. Livinginhope

Hassana Fletcher. I had a hard time finding someone as no one in my area was available; either too expensive or retired or just not feeling a good fit.

11. Forest

Heya, Laleah, you're actually looking at the revised program right now. Alan is still finding new things he wants to tweak, so we haven't announced anything, but these threads will always have the most updated version.

By the way, I love love love your post. You get it and you get the importance of repetition. It's all about how we use it in our lives, and it's a circular process of reading and trying things out to finally get it right. We're very lucky to have a written version to return to whenever we need it.

Glad to hear of your progress.

12. Livinginhope

I think that there are a lot of folks on these forums that are grateful for the help however, the directory really needs to be updated. I spoke with a couple of people on it who said that they have tried to update it several times and it never really worked. Getting an up to date list would be wonderful. I appreciate that all of this takes time and don't expect miracles, but your site is important to us. I am sure that many folks would have given up after trying the first person who wasn't right, but since I am RELENTLESS, thank you TMS trait, I knew it was something I simply had to do.

13. Laleah Shoo Shoo

Hi Forest xo Thank's so much for your reply . Okay, so this page is IT! Great. Well, here i go, landing in the right place again ;-)
    Yes, i do get it. And getting it has shed light on every single other area of my internal (external too) life....in a way that all the readings of the past decades, all the counselling (spiritual and emotional) i myself have facilitated in others.....has not touched. This steps into the very CORE , the foundation where the crack has been "where the light gets in" as Leonard Cohen put it. I am undoing, unravelling and re-setting myself back to how i was meant to me. I could write volumes about this, and so i've been quiet instead. (smiling) And off i go, into the sunshine, finally able to walk for an hour or even more. Half-blocks for almost 3 years. Okay, okay, i won't blabber on. Have a beautiful day!!!!!! toddles xo

Katya, westb and Forest like this.
  14. Forest

If you PM me with the relevant people, I'll be happy to look into it.

15. Laleah Shoo Shoo

i meant "toodles" not toddles haha

16. sagar

sagar New Member

Thank you Alan :)

17. concertina

concertina Newcomer

Thank you for this opportunity to learn more about how to overcome the fear factor. I feel that this is definitely the biggest problem for me. I have seen some improvement but find myself swirling around in a vortex of worry and fear on bad days. Which makes me lose hope. Its easy to be hopeful on a rare good day!

Bodhigirl likes this.
  18. Livinginhope

I have found that there are many body parts that have issues; once my back, hip pain appears to subside, my knee starts up. Now I am finding my digestion is rearing its ugly head. It almost feels, and I have mentioned this before, that my pains are comfortable nestling in my body and reluctant to leave. As I progress in this program, I know that I will feel strong enough to allow them all to leave my body. Stay tuned. My pain has met its match!

19. Muki

Muki Newcomer

thank you for opening a new door to recovery and a change of life. I know it will be a journey of learning and hard work but I am hopeful for the prospect of a new life with hout pain

20. Livinginhope

Everyone has to travel the path that feels right to them; having someone dictate that the path can only be one way is about as counterproductive and using the same worn out path as you usually do. Take the information that resonates with you and leave the rest behind. You will know when it is time to try something else. I am still challenging my ruts, but move gingerly into new neural pathways. Best of luck moving forward. I am not into judging others; don't judge yourself either.

maasl likes this.