1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day #3

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Barb, Mar 26, 2013.

1. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

Yeah Barb.

Small & positive. A great mantra.

I have been working on the muscle relaxation for
    some time. Just returned from a spa in fact. I live
    in Hepburn Springs in Victoria, Australia & we have
    75% of the country's mineral water in out region
    so no shortage of spa options. Need to do it late in
    the day as it tends to wipe you out.

A wonderful method for relearning muscle tension
    & poise is the Alexander Technique. The first instruction
    is 'let your neck be free' & it goes on from there.
    I found it to be remarkably helpful. Also I do a guided
    meditation technique called 'yoga nidra'. I listen to it
    on CD & it guides me through a muscle relaxation process.
    And then moves into more yogic manifestations.

I would be happy to mail a CD to you.

Let me know.

Pete

ps. Glad I made appointment with psychoanalyst!

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Am returning to Sarno's program. Had success in 1996 with debilitating back pain. Now I need to try it after 2 years of painful plantar fasciitis and time in a wheelchair, rotator cuff impingement, and migraines. I must be a really slow student because it didn't occur to me that these were manifestations of TMS! I really do believe in Sarno's work, and think it's great that now there's an online program. I'm treating myself to working one or two modules/day. Already I've been able to stop the headaches, and am feeling some relief in the feet. I'll know I'm successful when I can1) throw away the orthotics and walk without pain and 2)swim again without pain.

3. EricMd

EricMd Peer Supporter

Welcome back. The structured program has worked well for me. I have read most of Sarno's books and they give you the knowledge and the structured program allows you to apply the knowledge and learn the techniquesto explore your emotions and thoughts. In the last 5-6 weeks if have seen improvement in my pain but perhaps more important is the knowledge I have gained about myself. I am also more engaged with my family and at work. It has been great to start this journey. Welcome to the journey.

4. Barb

Barb New Member

I find it truly amazing don't you Pete to know we are not alone.. Really five weeks ago I wondered if I would ever improve, ever.... So again while not perfect I am improving with ups and downs.... I find it really important to to not dwell on the downs for they are just a moment and if you dig deep they leave... Or subside.
    Nice to meet you Gigi and EricMd.
    Thanks for the CD offer Pete but I am afraid I am a learner by doing,,, this has been a stretch for me as its not my preferred method of learning but I am enjoying the program and learning more about myself and,, enjoying this forum. Barb

5. Karen

Karen Peer Supporter

Leslie...you will never know how much I needed to read this right now. Thank you for that 'wake-up wisdom' and for taking the time to write this out for us! Fantastic.......

6. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

Hi Barb.

Not probably a good idea to provide address
    to send out any CD. Forget sometimes, that we
    are operating on open source of internet.

Best not put out your address.

Pete

7. Barb

Barb New Member

How are you making out Pete? Barb

8. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

Hi Barb.

A bit up & down. Keep setting myself punishing framework
    to accomplish better health. A strong inner voice continues to
    convey an overriding sense of failure to overcome. It is a long
    held residual thought pattern in which I feel hopelessness &
    shame. Like a self induced prophecy. If I let go of my physical
    pain story then I will be exposed. My subconscious self continues
    to hold sway. I want to remain almost childlike.

However, the good news is that I am now recognising this.

Even typing it here is a step forward.

On Day11.

Pete

Karen likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Peer Supporter

Thank you Pete.... for this great reminder!! Best to you!

10. Barb

Barb New Member

You know Pete I feel exactly the same way,,, I am now recognizing this.... I had an interesting semi setback / ahha moment this past Sunday / Monday.... I am in a senior management role in a large organization and..., am quite the introvert, an interesting and unsettling mix. I had to attend a leadership conference this week and had back pain from the end of last week onwards..., and I knew what is was but couldn't stop it.., I arrived at the conference and immediately saw three people I had surpassed in promotions and who are naysayers and when I got to my hotel room had a mini back spasm. I immediately broke out Dr. Sarno's book and starting reading,,, and my back is subsiding,, luckily I am learning to recognize this, relax my muscles, think of why its happening and move forward... So I too set high expectations and just get back at it when I fall off the rails. I am so glad I have found TMS you have no idea.... Day 11 thats awesome! Barb

11. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

I so have enjoyed reading everyone's responses. All of them rang true in my heart.

Jan, I have a question for you. In Claire Weekes book Hope and Help for your Nerves,
    what do you find most helpful?

Sometimes, as I wake in the morning I struggle with a little anxiety. Do you think this book
    would be helpful for that?
    Thanks,
    G.R.

12. Shabda-girl

Shabda-girl Peer Supporter

What a great discussion. I can totally relate to Pete. And Leslie, you are always full of such words of wisdom, kindness and support. Thank you

13. Shabda-girl

Shabda-girl Peer Supporter

G.R. I suffer from anxiety and I find Claire Weekes' book to be very helpful.