1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Program Day 6: The Fear Matrix

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 17, 2017.

1. JoanieART

JoanieART New Member

A big part of my healing has been just eating foods naturally. No processed, just whole foods (I chose plant based) and there is a sense of Whole Body followed by Whole Mind. I am not pushing this lifestyle, but it has stopped the obsession with food. Completely. It has brought ease into my body. Freedom.

A good prep to take on pain now, both emotional and physical, in my life. Everything in layers.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  2. Tarina

Tarina Newcomer

@Alan Gordon LCSW said ;

Exactly. Either that or they help keep you in a fight/flight/freeze state. If your brain thinks you're in danger, then it actually deems you being in a calm state as a bad thing (for the same reason that a zebra shouldn't be calm if it's surrounded by lions...) By learning to teach your brain that it's safe, it no longer has the need to take you to a fight/flight/freeze state.

This part I don t understand,because if I try to teach myself beeing safe ,for example with artwork I start yawning and relaxing I go into fight and flight later ....so what's the different ,could please someone explain this to me,and what teaching mean .guess i m so startled that everything that calms me down my brain sees as a danger

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  3. Andry

Andry Newcomer

Hi I need some help. This guide is mostly dedicated to pain afaik. I have no pain. I have chronic fatigue and anxiety. I am following this guide simply changing the word "pain" into "fatigue" but I am not sure it will work for me. If you have any ideas what I should do please let me know.

4. Diana Lynne

Diana Lynne Newcomer

5. Diana Lynne

Diana Lynne Newcomer

I would not discount eating good foods and no junky foods. Never. If you knew what a lot of what this foods do vs health organic food, probably why you have digestive issues. Eat well exercise and teach your brain not to fear. Blessings to you

6. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

How are you doing now? How was the trauma healing work for you?

7. danielle

danielle Peer Supporter

Hi Fabi, I took a break from the trauma work for a while. Now I'm revisiting it, but from a different place. Not trying hard to dig into the past, but being present as much as I can and letting stuff come up when it's ready. I think I was digging too hard. :p I don't remember when I wrote that post, but I've slowly been improving with still plenty to do. What about yourself?

8. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

Thanks for asking!
    My therapist gave me a spreadsheet to write things down, and now I see how much my pain is in between what I have to do. Anyway, I try to be gentle to myself but I always have this feeling of despair or helplesness, like things are not changing much, and I need to change how I react. Easier said than done when pain became the center of my life for many years. I have been reading a short book by Joan Garriga Bacardi, in Spanish "¿Dónde están las monedas?". It helped me to understand me more. I am a work in progress!

danielle likes this.
  9. Diana Lynne

Diana Lynne Newcomer

Actually doing better. Thanks. I also started Methylene Blue. The two go together real well.

danielle and Fabi like this.
  10. danielle

danielle Peer Supporter

Good to hear, let's keep up the good work. :)

11. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

I don´t know what or how Methylene blue does to you, never heard of it. Could you explain or enlarge a bit on that? thanks a lot!

12. Shakti

Shakti New Member

It's mind-blowing to read about you all needing to avoid the news in 2019 (which, agreed, was certainly bad enough) while doing this program during the war now in Israel where I live. From the moment the present government was elected in Nov 2022, I gave up news radio, newspaper reports and headlines, never watched tv anyway...And now during this war almost everyone I know or talk to is following news every minute they're awake. I see what it's doing to them in terms of exacerbating fear, and indeed see it's making people more selfish as well. People identify with all the horrors, and make them their own. Thence the fear is not only out of control, but paralyses people from being able to act, to do anything positive to contribute, even while so many here are helping in so many ways, as the government is basically not functional. I am scared enough without the news! My own personal stock of present and historical fears, plus fears of missiles and bombs, death and destruction.
    I have yet to get past many of my angers to the fears underneath, but I am working with the program along with journalling, buddhist meditation, and somatic tracking. I will get past them! And very much appreciate the way you all share, it's so helpful and so hopeful.

13. Lauren T

Lauren T Peer Supporter

First, I don’t read the news very much anymore too as you have said, it increases fear and IS NOT HELPFUL and in fact inflames fear.

I also send prayers and blessings to all peace loving humans on your side of the globe! from Texas.

keep doing the work. As long as we’re here we might as well drop the lies and live the truth as we are learning. Dr Sarno is a way shower . He healed me of sciatica just reading his books and this site.

14. Susan Mary

Susan Mary New Member

I think I'm the fear-habit poster child! This has been going on most of my life.

I've noticed I even build stressors in, e.g., spend too much time at what I'm doing so that there's not enough time to prepare for where I'm going--then I rush around; feel unprepared; and worry about being late, am actually late, or both. Pain=fear=stress. And stress=fear=pain.

I've been working on de-stressing (The Five Resets) and am knocking down my habits gradually and manageably. BREATHE, LESS PHONE TIME, and MODERATE EXERCISE are my current tasks. As well as noticing my fear messages. Today I laughed at equating Will I ever get better? with Did I put the wrong zip code on the gift I just ordered? The answers are Yes and Yes, respectively. Thanks, Alan, and everyone on this forum.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    JanAtheCPA likes this.
  15. Susan Mary

Susan Mary New Member

Oh, and did the reality show ever get made? I'd love to watch it AND star in it!