1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New Program Day 9: Somatic Tracking

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Pemberley

Pemberley Peer Supporter

There's a great post on this by Christie in Day 10:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/day-10-somatic-tracking-ii-anxiety-strikes-back.16540/page-2 (New Program - Day 10: Somatic Tracking II: Anxiety Strikes Back)

Not sure about doing it so much though that it becomes preoccupation. I think it's all about practice (?). Still struggling in pain here, but I've had a few instances where the somatic tracking has calmed me and shifted the pain.

2. Syl

Syl Peer Supporter

@Alan Gordon LCSW Reading through all the posts after this particular lesson, I think what we all need is a retreat to Tuscany, Italy. We'll rent some wonderful villa that overlooks miles of olive trees, vines, and gorgeous sunflowers. You lead the retreat, Alan, while we learn more about observing our emotions, letting go, and supporting each other. Wouldn't that be just great? And what a great way to heal ourselves! Ah, la bella Italia!

upload_2018-11-9_9-38-6.jpeg

upload_2018-11-9_9-38-35.jpeg

starseed and westb like this.
  3. MTL_Jon

MTL_Jon New Member

BinLA likes this.
  4. MTL_Jon

MTL_Jon New Member

Hi there Susanne! You and shmps both mentioned Alan's video, but for some reason I don't have it on my screen. Would you (or anyone else) be able to link it here so I can watch it? Thanks in advance!

5. MTL_Jon

MTL_Jon New Member

Thanks for all the great replies, Alan. I just started with the program a few days ago, but already I find improvement with some of my pain. I wish I discovered this forum earlier!

I know I just asked this same question a few moments ago, but would you please be able to post the link to the video in the Attending To Yourself section? For some reason, it's not on the page when I look at my computer. :)

Thanks!

6. MTL_Jon

MTL_Jon New Member

I agree. Fantastic line. I just wrote it on a stickie and put it on my computer.

7. she

she New Member

I really understand this fear. My back pain started just after a run, my whole back going into spasm, and I was on holiday!! Now 3 years later, after reading one of Dr Sarno's books who encourages us to take up our usual exercise again, I have started my couch potato to 5K programme, running with pain, and some fear of the consequences. I tell myself that it is ok, it won't hurt my back, and usually it is worse the next day, but that is because I fear it will be. But I go out again and it is so freeing to be active even if I am still worrying. Last time I went out, my back didn't hurt so bad the next day, and I saw this as a small step forward in conquering the fear. don't get me wrong, I am only running small amounts, I was never a great runner, but as todays session says, its acknowledging the pain taking note of it, and telling yourself its ok, sometimes even laughing at it. Keep persevering, as I will. we will get there!!

Lainey likes this.
  8. Dee_1

Dee_1 Newcomer

So far this day by day lesson has been great. I came on here in a rush to be cured. I wanted to devour all the lessons in one day. But I slowed down. And the simplicity of scanning my body, I realise how tense I become. When I speak to people in person, on the phone, when my thoughts run away with me my whole body clenches. It's lovely to simply moment by moment scan, identify the tenseness and then relax my body. Plus it give pause and interruption to my thoughts as my focus is elsewhere. I've felt quite lovely today, it's a relief, and so nice to have calmed my thoughts that were literally bullying me incessantly. Thankyou. I've throughly enjoyed my day.

BinLA, Lily Rose, Bodhigirl and 2 others like this.
  9. Eric Snider

Eric Snider New Member

I find this both inspiring and a little confounding. When I check in, my mind goes directly to my symptoms — which, in my case, is usually stinging/tingling in my hands — and therefore sheds light on the problem, thus magnifying it. I understand rationally that I am supposed to track w/o judgment, but it's difficult when the sensations are so discomforting. I guess it's a process. I spend more time trying to immerse myself in stuff than assessing my physical state. I get more comfort that way. But I suppose it's temporary comfort — or, more accurately, temporary relief. This technique suggests a systematic way of taking the fear out of the pain.

Jeannette, BinLA and Lily Rose like this.
  10. Eric Snider

Eric Snider New Member

I am having a little trouble with Somatic Tracking. Alan writes: "It feels wonderful just to be checked in on." My problem is that I check in on myself too much. I suspect that's the case for many of us. I understand the concept of Somatic Tracking ...

Alan writes: "The most effective way to communicate a message of safety to your brain is to mindfully attend to the physical sensations in your body."

But when I check in, it raises my pain/discomfort level, draws attention to it. Thus far, it has not communicated a message of safety.

11. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey @Eric Snider , I won't claim to be an expert in this technique, but the sense that I get is that that is perfectly fine. It's absolutely okay to be stressed out and even for your symptoms to increase as you do the practice.

I like to think of Somatic Tracking as a form of mindfulness, like mindful meditation, so I think of applying the philosophy of mindfulness to the body. From the perspective of mindfulness, you allow your negative reaction to the pain, but then you gently guide yourself back to your rock: that fundamentally there is nothing wrong with your body because this is only TMS. As with beginning meditation (and intermediate meditation... and advanced meditation) there may be plenty of bumps in the road. But the point is to be outcome independent. Don't worry if your brain's reaction is to become stressed. Your goal is just to become curious and to explore what you feel, knowing that your body is whole. Then, you do it again and again... Let us know how it goes!

Or, now that I think of it, better yet, why don't you submit it to the Tell Me About Your Pain Q&A program. You can get an answer directly from someone trained by Alan.

plum likes this.
  12. Forest

Incidentally, Alan has a new recording about somatic experiencing. If you use this technique, you should definitely check it out!

Here's the link:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/the-ultimate-guide-to-somatic-tracking.23067/ (Alan Gordon - The Ultimate Guide to Somatic Tracking)

And here's how he introduces it:

plum likes this.
  13. braveheart

braveheart Peer Supporter

I posted a question about somatic tracking for people whose pain is high 24 /7 on the Tell Me about Your Pain subforum. Callie, the therapist gave a great, long comprehensive answer. You can find it on Tell me about your pain forum.

14. Forest

Terrific! I think that that is a great resource and would encourage others to post their questions there as well.

15. CSL

CSL New Member

Hi,

This is my first time posting and I don't know how to "start" a new post, could someone explain? Thank you.

This post is just about technical question about the forum for the PRP:

I can't find the Somatic Tracking video that is referred to in many of the posts.
    It isn't listed in Alan's Lesson #9... could someone help me out and find it, please?

I've noticed some other posts requesting the same, so I'm not alone : )

Thank you,
    CSL

16. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

Hi Everyone,

Im wondering, if one of our problems with TMS is obsessing over the symptoms, how do we observe them without giving them power?

Isn't paying attention feeding the symptom?

Many thanks

17. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

Hi Did you find the video?

18. CSL

CSL New Member

Hi Jon,
    No I can't find that Somatic Tracking video... could you post a link to it here? (I apologize in advance, if it's right under my nose.)
    That was back last August. I'm not sure, but maybe there's been a new whole program created since then?
    Much obliged : )
    CSL

19. nele

nele Peer Supporter

20. Salley

Salley Newcomer

If feel pain when I'm walking but not when I'm sitting, is it strucural? I've had my hip checked out (no definitive finding, but my sciatic tension is really fierce). I blamed it on a fall, but it came later and got much worse the more medical attention I sought without resolution. I know I'm really tense now, but my brain keeps wanting me to see another doctor, just in case...