1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dealing with fatigue

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Shakermaker, Feb 4, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

I find I can relate with so much of what you've written. I do much the same - take in the doom and gloom of modern news reporting and interpret it into depression and angst and anxiety for myself.

One of the byproducts of getting older is that we gain perspective - usually this is a good thing - but sometimes that perspective causes us to interpret the direction we see "things" going as negative and not like the "good old days" that our subconscious firmly believes was better (if we think rationally, we know it's not).

I find myself personally triggered by perceived injustice and things being "wrong" in some manner - I carry this weight and it manifests in TMS symptoms and depression and both of these cause fatigue and lethargy. Those last two are the exact opposites of energy and motivation, something you only feel when you are hopeful. Things are not THAT bad anywhere now, but it still hard to feel hopeful.

JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  2. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

Mr Hip! Yes, it’s hard to feel hopeful, but when you are, you get energy! Interesting. So today our goal is to get hopeful. (Not to heal from TMS.) How can you do that today? What would help? Here’s what works for me: —being grateful (even making a gratitude list helps)
    —No news or social media whatsoever. Not one glance.
    —Reading a good book. A book with a positive vibe.
    —Listening to good music.
    —Staying away from negative people. Even in your family. Take a break from them.
    —Picturing something achievable in your current condition (for me, I like to picture getting outside more)
    —Doing anything useful. Anything. I started emptying the dishwasher. It was hard but now I can do it. It always cheers me up to accomplish it.
    —Sending love, help and encouragement to others. Giving love is very powerful!

Sending some your way! <3

HealingMe, JanAtheCPA and Mr Hip Guy like this.
  3. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

What a wonderful post, thank you so much.

Your excellent list made me think of a few others:
    - Dancing (whether someone is watching or not, just do it - the movement makes you feel better)
    - Taking a walk or any type of super-light exercise.
    - Putting something on the calendar to look forward to (a trip or an event like a concert or show, etc)

JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  4. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

Awesome! Yes, those are great! :)

Mr Hip Guy likes this.