1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Does TMS ever behave like this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by chopper72, Apr 15, 2021.

1. chopper72

chopper72 New Member

I am a long term TMS type and have overcome several episodes in various body parts. But I now have pain in a hip and of couse I am suspicious of TMS. But the hip only hurts if I exercise vigorously for more than an hour. It doesn't hurt if I just take it easy. This is the opposite of the TMS I have had in the past where using the muscles relieved the pain. What do you think?

2. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Peer Supporter

Hi Chopper72 ! I certainly have had some symptoms like that - seeming to appear just after strenuous exercise, making me think it was something wrong with my body. Turned out it was TMS, too.

That being said, I would recommend to have your hip checked by a doctor before embracing the TMS diagnostic. It's safer, and it will also put your mind at ease.

If you're doing an activity you're not used to, or at an intensity you're not used to, this could also be your body saying to take it a little bit more progressively.

3. chopper72

chopper72 New Member

I have a torn labrum and mild arthritis in that hip.

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Chopper72,

I had a client with labrum tear and hip arthritis that completely recovered after 16 years of hip pain and restrictions. These are normal aging changes like a torn meniscus or a torn rotator cuff.

Also, if it takes strenuous exercise it might be more of not having a good form when exercising.

I also recommend having it checked by a doctor to rule out anything serious.

5. chopper72

chopper72 New Member

So I have had it checked by a doctor. My question: Does TMS get worse with exercise? In my case one hour of playing tennis is fine. Two hours and it hurts for 2 days an then subsides.

6. FredAmir

How can you have an actual physical issue and be able to play an hour of tennis with no pain? Does that make sense?

Think it out logically.

JmdDaquila and Ellen like this.
  7. chopper72

chopper72 New Member

I m trying to look at it logically. I have had TMS before. The pain is there all the time, sometimes worse, sometimes better, but there. You recognize it as TMS and start to exercise through it and it subsides and goes away. Here I start with no pain. I exercise for an hour and don't have much pain. After two hours it is hurting and will hurt for a couple of days. If I take it easy it will subside even without thinking it is TMS. I get no pain until I exercise hard. This would be different than any TMS I have ever had. And yes, carry one load of shingles up a ladder tomorrow and you will be fine. Carry 15 loads and you will be sore, with or without injury, or TMS. So I am a little stuck here.

8. FredAmir

"Here I start with no pain. I exercise for an hour and don't have much pain. After two hours it is hurting and will hurt for a couple of days.

Has it always been this way or is this recent?

9. chopper72

chopper72 New Member

It started last May after I walked up about 500 steps. I had physical therapy and that didn't help much. MRI confirmed a torn labrum but only mild arthritis. I cannot find angry muscles around the hip no matter how hard I push. Deep ache. I had a cortisone shot three weeks ago and that provided no relief. I am really good at disguising TMS so remain suspicious but usually TMS muscles are sore and tight. I am stuck.

10. FredAmir

Wow! 500 steps. You must be in really good shape.

Were you playing 2 hours of tennis before that without pain?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  11. chopper72

chopper72 New Member

Well now I am more convinced it is TMS. I went to a physical therapist on friday who did some diagnosis work and he found a muscle that was tight as a drum. It felt TMS like when he tried to get it to relax. Dang that TMS. I still wonder why it gets worse with hard exercise which is the opposite of what should happen. Anybody have an answer for that?

12. FredAmir

Hey Chopper,

Congrats on your discovery.

There is no set way your brain will give you TMS.

Most likely, since you were already prepared to deal with it in one way, it tried a new way.

So now you know it’s not your labrum or arthritis. It’s just reduction of blood flow. So go forth and live your life.

13. FredAmir

JmdDaquila likes this.