1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Doing pretty good during the day, but pain returns at night?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jules, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Jules

Jules Well known member

I've been doing pretty good during the day, and have been able to do pretty much whatever I want. But, during the night, I have noticed, my shoulder and my arms start aching and feeling numb. I just wonder if there are other people who have the same issue, and how they have been dealing with it or dealt with it in the past. I can tell I'm more tense, but it is really hard to just try and relax with so much turmoil going on in the world as it affects me greatly.

Each night, I've had to basically tell myself over and over again there's nothing wrong with me and that the brain is still trying to distract me, but I've been thinking psychologically and I can't really understand why this last part won't just leave. I've done the journaling, going to therapy, thinking psychologically, you know all the stuff that I'm supposed to be doing, but I toss and turn every night because I can't stand to sleep on one side for too long because it starts aching. I have a memory foam mattress topper, and I wonder if it's getting old and needs to be replaced, or if this is just purely TMS.

Another thing that's kind of weird is that if I sit and don't do a whole lot during the day, I focus more on my body. But as soon as I get up and I start doing things, the pain goes away. I know that sometimes being left alone with your thoughts about thing, but I also don't want to just be continually working all the time to distract myself.

Also, with everything else going on in this country, and the riots and the political crap, I have been more angry and have been lashing out more. My therapist thinks that the pain has turned into anger because now I am being more aware of my feelings. She told me I need to figure out why these things are triggering me, which I for the most part have, but it's so hard because of our social media addicted lifestyles to try and tune it out when it's everywhere I look.

Anyway, would love your feedback or if you have any suggestions to help with this last remaining nighttime pain.

TIA.

Wendyc likes this.
  2. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

I'd like to know what others have to say about this too. Seems like sometimes I feel like I'm obsessed about trying to feel good when I'm just at my desk at work. I've been feeling pretty much good but I wish It would come naturally. I know what you mean about the political stuff too. It also hard to not think about it being other stuff like the mattress or whatever even though you believe in TMS.

3. Jules

Jules Well known member

Exactly. I know I have TMS, and I have been doing very well. I've been able to paint, type, pick up heavy things, etc. it's just that stupid nighttime pain . It doesn't help that all kinds of horrible thoughts and feelings go through my head at night. It's just weird, because, In a way, I feel like there's hot spots that are uneven with this mattress topper, and it feels like pressure just back-and-forth on both sides. It affects my arms and legs, which of course makes me nervous thinking I might have a neurological condition. Or, and what is probably more likely, is that the symptom imperative has changed, and instead of it being during the day, it's now at night. Stupid TMS. :mad: bangheada

Wendyc likes this.
  4. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

Last night I fell asleep to one of the TMS lectures.. on purpose :bag:

5. TMSMatt

TMSMatt New Member

Hi ladies. Ahh, the TMS night pain. I know it all too well, unfortunately. Like you, Jules, during the day I'm very functional, but at night I get terrible hip and sciatic pain in my right leg. It actually hurts the worst on the upper-front edge of my thigh (???). I will lie down at night, get comfortable, and drift off peacefully. Then, I wake up for one reason or the other and the pain comes on sharp and deep. At times it ebbs and flows like pulsing sensation. During those times I try to talk it down, but I admit, it's easier said than done when the pain is a 9 or a 10 in the dead of night. If I get up and walk a bit, it subsides.

I have heard others explain that during the day we are able to obviously keep ourselves busy, which can keep our subconscious thoughts (rage, etc.) at bay for the most part. However, at night, our subconscious can run completely wild and we don't have much of a chance to fight it, until we wake up in misery of course. I have confirmed disc issues so I have struggled with dismissing a structural cause for my pain, but the absurdity of the pain (location, pulsing, inconsistency, timing) has actually helped me to accept it as TMS. Granted, it has been a few months and I'm still dealing with it, but at least I can call a spade, a spade. Try this...when you first lie down, think of 3 things you are thankful for, then try and frame your dreams by deep breathing and visualizing a pleasant environment for 5 minutes or so before drifting off. I have had some success with this, though not a complete remission of the pain. Just keep telling yourself it is TMS, and realize how absurd it is for your pain to spike in the middle of the night but not when you are actively using the "injured" part. Keep up the good fight!

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

That's good! Trying to observe yourself healing from TMS is like watching water boil. Observe the TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN--then sleep on it.

Wendyc likes this.
  7. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

i would like to know if you recovered from the night numbness? it’s something i’m really struggling with lately. so many other TMS symptoms of mine have disappeared but this one is stubborn!!

8. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Super relatable, it goes away once you are sleepy/relaxed enough. The news definitely makes nighttime anxiety/rumination/symptoms worse.

9. MedicineWithin

MedicineWithin Peer Supporter

its very common for symptoms to increase at night. Our subconscious is a lot more active, which can increase the need for a pain distraction if there are emotions in are subconscious we are not addressing. ISP can help. Integral Somatic Psychology.

www.thetaowithin.com

10. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

can anyone share some good strategies for coping with pain/discomfort/anxiety that comes at night?