1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Facial Swelling TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JulietBlue, Aug 15, 2017.

1. JulietBlue

JulietBlue Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,

One of my symptoms ( among many) is chronic facial and eye pain. I have been diagnosed with TMJ from my life long habit of grinding my teeth at night.

My question concerns facial swelling. I understand the Jaw pain could be TMS but could it also be structural? Has anyone else that has had this facial pain, also had facial swelling with it? Mine is pretty severe. I don't even look like myself most days anymore and this has been going on for a long time now. Could TMS also cause this kind of swelling of the face?

It's been confusing because I also have some other things going on that I'm trying to sort through. Currently having my hormone levels tested because I am having some very disturbing symptoms that could be also related to that, among them facial and neck swelling. So it's hard to know yet if it's from the facial pain itself or this possible Thyroid issue. I feel like it's from the pain but there are other factors. I won't be able to rule that out until I get the results of my blood test. All of what I got going on seems like a big puzzle I'm trying to put together. TMS is definitely one of the pieces though. I've had way to many other illnesses and conditions over the years (an embarrassingly long list). So I feel confident I have it , just still not sure if I have other things that aren't yet.

Did anyone else experience this facial swelling with or without pain and did turn out to be TMS? I want the pain to go but the swelling as well and they far it won't budge. Pain in other parts of my body have improved somewhat. I feel like I hold a lot of tension in my jaw muscles when I'm awake too. I try to catch myself and relax them but it's very engrained and I usually don't know I'm doing it. The pain bothers me yes but so does the swelling.

Anyone have any experience with this? We're you able to overcome the facial pain and swelling?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

There is a success story in this video by Nicole Sachs about facial swelling:

JulietBlue likes this.
  3. David88

David88 Well known member

I have had swelling, not in the face but in a leg, that turned out to be TMS. So yes it's possible. I had it checked out, and when they couldn't find a cause, I knew it was TMS. It went away in a few days.

JulietBlue likes this.
  4. JulietBlue

Thank you so much for that , Ewok! Great video. I like Nicole's work. Wish I could see her as a client sometime.

5. JulietBlue

Thanks David. That definitely helps to hear. I really suspect mine is TMS too but it's only one of so many symptoms I got hit with around the same time. They match up with both TMS and Thyroid disorder so I'm still pretty confused. I'm trying to treat them all as TMS until I find out otherwise but it's been very challenging to say the least.