1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Has anybody had a phone/skype appointment with a physician?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by determined_75, Dec 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

For those who don't live near a TMS physician and have opted to speak with one over phone/video, how has it worked out for you? Are there any 'prerequisites' for the appointment, such as having been seen by other physicians first to rule out physical problems? I had a MRI for my back many years ago which showed the 'normal abnormalities' (slight disc herniation, L5-S1, stenosis, etc.), but I'm convinced (at least consciously) my pain is due to TMS. Still though, even after speaking with a TMS therapist, symptoms haven't subsided. I'd like to speak with a physician.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I had a Skype appointment with Dr. Geitzen (here on TMS wiki list) and it was very helpful. I sent him my records via email, he reviewed them and assured me that I didn't have structural damage. That was very liberating and set me on the path of recovery. I am back to normal life now.

Dorado and Patrisia like this.
  3. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

@TG957 yes, I spoke to Dr. Geitzen as well!

Dorado likes this.
  4. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Thanks for your reply. There's a small part of me that's wondering if I need to hear it from a MD that there's nothing physically wrong with me. Perhaps I'll schedule an appointment.

5. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Did it help you with your recovery?

6. TG957

Absolutely. It cleared my doubts and set me on the right path. I had the right expectation going in. I did not expect a miracle pill from Dr. Geitzen and accepted that the effort was still mine to get myself out of the TMS trap.

7. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

Yes! He is a neurologist so I specifically reached out to him regarding my trigeminal neuralgia and my MRI results.

8. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

@determined_75 physicians will always tell you that something is wrong and will want to treat it either by surgery or pills. I also had MRI abnormalities that were supposed to be treated by surgery (artery touching the trigeminal nerve). My take on this - unless it's a tumor that is irritating the tissue there is no abnormality.

TG957 likes this.
  9. TG957

@Patricia is right. My electromyography was abnormal and I was told many times that I needed steroid injection and/or surgery. Here I am - fully recovered.

10. determined_75

determined_75 New Member

Thank you @TG957 and @Patrisia!