1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Hi All - Anyone Like Me Out there...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Explorer, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Hello Everyone -

I love this site! I am certain I have TMS and I am working on accepting.

Please feel free to read my story. I am still getting used to how this wiki works.

There is so much information, I am not sure where to get started although I am very excited.

As I work through the structured program, I'd like to read the right books. My pain in not back pain (only) but all over pain. Nerve pain... My story explains a little better.

I am looking for someone with a similar experince who can help. Is it appropriate to ask for a mentor, someone to talk to on the phone. I really want my life to get back to normal. I know I've got a good deal of work a head of me.

I've already been encouraged by the success stories. I will be seeing a TMS doc in two weeks.

Happy to be part of the wiki. Now if I could just learn how to use it! :)

2. Lala

Lala Well known member

I was diagnosied 10 years ago with fibromyalgia...my pain was in my hands and feet, not all over. Sarno's Mindbody Prescription book was really the main book behind my healing...as was his recorded lectures. Its great that you can see a TMS doc first hand. Good luck

3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Explorer and welcome to the wiki/forum. We don't have personal mentors as such but we will all try and support you in our own way by responding to your posts. You can't break the wiki so just go and have a nose round. Lots of newbies are attracted to the Structured Education Program. This will introduce you to all kinds of information, videos, members' success stories and give you the opportunity to think in a new and different way. The best part is, it's free. :)

4. Explorer

Thanks Lala and yb44. I am incouraged by the fact that fibro and general pain syndromes can be helped by this process.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

What yb44 said is right on. One of the best ways to explore the wiki is to just dive in and start reading a couple pages/posts at a time. You can't break anything, and there are a lot of people around that are eager to answer any questions you may have.

Fibroymalgia is definitely TMS. Like you, I was diagnosed with it at one point (I had severe pain in my hands, wrists, and arms) and it was really frustrating to have a doctor tell you there is nothing they can really do for your symptoms. But the good part is that you can fully recover from TMS. One of the most important, and sometimes hardest, things to do is overcome the idea that you have a structural problem. Reading posts and going through the program will really help you overcome that conditioning and help you to begin to think psychologically.

There are a lot of great books out there about TMS. In terms of Dr. Sarno's books both Healing Back Pain and the Mindbody Prescription are really good, but there is also Freedom From Fibromyalgia by Nancy Selfridge which is more specific to Fibro. The main thing is to find one that speaks to you, sort of like the Pier 1 commercials

6. Explorer

I love the Peir 1 analogy! It's amazing how docs throw around the Fibro diagnosis. I am heading out to buy The Divided Mind.

Thanks yb44 and Forest! I know this is TMS. And coming back is a journey. I can't tell you how much this site has helped me!

7. Explorer

Thanks so much!!!!