1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 How didn't I think of this before?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by ChronicPelvicPain88, May 24, 2021.

1. How didn't I think of this before?! It's so obvious now.

I'm currently on day 8 of the SEP and this is my first forum entry. I've suffered a lot for the past four years with chronic pelvic pain. Mostly in the inguinal and genital region of my groin. The pain came on fairly suddenly, but was not associated with any given activity that I recall. I had hurt my pack pretty roughly about 2 weeks prior, but that's about it. The pain got so bad that eventually I assumed I must have a hernia, though one could not be seen/detected. The pain there has subsided somewhat, but it's always there, always uncomfortable and sensitive.

This all happened during a very stressful time in my life, I had just completed my graduate degree and as a reward, treated myself to a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. While it was perhaps the most amazing experience of my life, I came back to a world of stress and challenges and I often wonder if this duality of these two things helped initiate everything. That is, I came back from a carefree, rugged existence and then was thrown right back into the rat race and couldn't even get off the starting line. I was in a hyper-competitive field that never paid very well and jobs were hard to come by. I searched for months nationwide while eating through my savings and every day left me more depressed and stressed than the previous. I ended up living at my girlfriend's (now wife) grandmothers house and it was this time period when everything hit and the pain started. That was Christmas of 2017.

Over the years I saw every doctor I could, multiple urologists, osteopaths, general practitioners, neurologists, chiropractors, massage therapists, even tried a round of acupuncture. Nothing a doctor has done has ever TOUCHED the pain, much less relieved it. As time went on, eventually my left foot started aching in the heel (the groin pain is on the right side). This made no sense to me and still doesn't, that is, outside of a TMS diagnosis. TMS can explain just how illogical that pain addition is, but I didn't know that at the time. Eventually my back followed suite. In the time, I had a hip surgery and a year later, had an inguinal hernia surgery (surgeon says he actually found one too...but the pain persisted).

I think now that the pain might have been initially started by the hernia and then my emotions just took over and hypersensitized everything. I don't really care though if it started structurally or not, because at this point I'm convinced that this is a mind-body disorder I'm suffering from. Nothing else can explain the continued pelvic pain and the heel and back pain additions. It's so simple too and I'm surprised I didn't come to this conclusion before. I have always been a fairly anxious person (though I think most friends wouldn't say that about me). It's true though, I worry far too much and it's actually caused me other psychosomatic issues in the past. I actually had Hystericus globus for two years, where I felt like I had an object stuck in my throat. I suffered the same way (seeing multiple doctors) until I started having panic attacks (another indicator of how the mind can affect the body) which caused me to seek therapy. I have had other physical manifestations of this stress as well that were clearly psychological/emotional in origin.

Now that I've been reading about TMS, I'm realizing just how obvious it is that this is my issue and for the first time in a long time, I have hope.

Thanks for reading

hawaii_five0, Baseball65 and Ellen like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Forum! Thanks for sharing your story. It is wonderful when you read about TMS and it resonates with you. Hope is a very powerful feeling/thought.

Let us know how you're doing and if we can answer any questions or provide support. You're off to a good start!

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I got that out of nowhere last year and it was absolutely TMS. I am sure if I had gone to a doctor they would have diagnosed plantar fascitis or some other crap. It felt like I was stepping on a nail on every step.

Having already been cured of TMS pain many times I was immediately suspicious. After inspecting myself in the anger/emotion realm , I realized the pain began right after I talked someone else out of being angry WHO I AGREED WITH.
    As soon as I had that 'aha' moment, the feeling was gone in about an hour.... but I had been doing this work for 20 years previous. The longer you do it, the faster your results.
    That is the exact scenario during the majority of my symptoms that brought me to this work. I left a party,rock star life living with a wealthy model, to being Mr responsible nobody, taking care of other people and grinding 12 hours a day. Extraordinarily rage inducing to that 'child' who never grows up inside of us.

you are in the right place! Welcome.

Balsa11 and BloodMoon like this.
  4. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

@ChronicPelvicPain88:

I can relate to a lot of what you have said. I have low back/pelvis issues that started off as a mild structural issue, virtually painless, but became significant discomfort since having started obsessing about it, and doing 1000 things to try to "fix" it. If I had a different personality type and from the beginning just said "aw f*ck it, this is no big deal" I might have been ok. Good luck, you are definitely not alone.