1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. How do I overcome the desire to get rid of my pain?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by WantToBelieve, Jun 15, 2015.

1. map76

map76 Peer Supporter

Glad I found this thread. Foot pain is my primary symptom too. My worst pain is when I have to wait in line at a supermarket, or stop to chat with a co-worker. If I'm moving it's less painful; but those "in-between" moments are hell. I get massive relief from removing my shoes and socks, which seems odd.

I started cycling a while back and, of course, now I'm getting hand pain (totally new symptom.) TMS blows. I have no fear of structural damage anymore, but I have a real strong tendency to obsess over symptoms. Sucks living this way. I hope we can all find contentment soon.

Markus likes this.
  2. WantToBelieve

WantToBelieve Peer Supporter

Map76- my pain presents the exact same way. Running is far better than standing still. It is TMS and we will get better. I've decided to work with a therapist in Alan Gordon's practice to try to get to the bottom of it.

map76 likes this.
  3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Same here guys .....when I stop or rest pain is much worse all indomis embrace it meaning in don't fight it and eventually its passes.

Working with a therapist is great but once you start talking about the same issues over and over your time with them is done. That's what my experience was with them. In use a regular therapist to basically vent my emotions and fears.

4. WantToBelieve

Boston- I just spoke on the phone with a patient of Alan Gordon's. After 2 1/2 years of working with him, his 17 years of feet pain is gone! That was great to hear and motivational for me!

map76 likes this.
  5. map76

map76 Peer Supporter

Did he mention any "a-ha!" moments? Or was it more a gradual process of undoing the pain/fear cycle?

6. WantToBelieve

For him it was gradual and then one day just clicked. He didn't feel like he had small wins but rather just stuck with it and then the pain just left! I'm know everyone is different but it was helpful to know it could potential take awhile.

map76 likes this.
  7. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

That bike video was really interesting and informative!! It deeply encouraged me not to give up, as I didn't realise how it could take so long to rewire my neural pathways. Fascinating stuff! :)

8. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

Hi, may I have the name of that therapist too? I am on Day 11 of the Structured Recovery Program & want to finish it out & see how it goes. If I still need help after Day 42 though I may contact the therapist. Thank you!

9. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

That 'backwards brain bicycle' video (as seen in a posting above) is really interesting...

I learned to ride a bike merely by watching other kids ride their bikes and imagining that it was me on those bikes. (My parents wouldn't let me have a bike of my own.) My mother was astonished when she saw me on my friend's bike (which didn't have stabilisers) just ride off on it with no problems - without my ever having been on a bike before! (I hadn't realised that people usually needed to learn to ride a bike by physically practicing to do it!) So, in connection to the video and neuroplasticity and my own experience of the latter in relation to learning to ride a bike - albeit we are adults and it's generally harder for adults to change 'learned behaviour' and learn new things than it is for children - even just imagining/visualizing the changes we want to make could work well TMS cure-wise.

I also wonder if the guy in the video had regularly ridden both a normal bike and the backwards bike (alternating between the two) he would/should have been able to swap from one to the other easily and without any problems.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018