1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How I healed from a myriad of symptoms

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Dorado, Jun 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Plum, your response is so eloquent and beautiful that it made me want to cry, but of course in my family were weren’t allowed to cry, so I don’t. I would say I am a worrier but mostly about my symptoms. They worry me to no end. I feel at times I am accepting them for what they are and not stressing about them and that soon they will just dissipate, but when they continue to linger after months I distress all over again. And the cycle continues. Surely if I’m accepting for a long period of time they should just vanish. It’s all so insane.

I used to do Yoga and think I will look into it again. Like you, I try to meditate at least 10 minutes a day.

As always Plum, your posts are a pleasure to read and I am happy that you are finding peace.

Dorado and plum like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

plum likes this.
  3. Ruby_

Ruby_ New Member

Hey @JanAtheCPA ,
    Sure Im also glad to hear advice from others! :)
    Im struggeling tho and as I read @Dorado thread I thought he wouldnt mind to give some advice but Im would be very thankful for any advice given!

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Claire Weekes has saved unknown thousands of people, including many many members of our Forum, from disabling anxiety, thanks to her little book "Hope and Help For Your Nerves" . It was written in 1969 and the brilliant Dr Weekes is no longer with us, but her book (audios and videos, too, I think) continues to help people. It's the second book that saved me, after "The Divided Mind" .

Dorado likes this.
  5. Ruby_

Ruby_ New Member

Yea I just think maybe its not working for everyone, I work on the acceptance method quit a while and dont see much improvement. :/

6. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

so guys i have been reading in this forum about chronic fatigue, exhaustion and that’s something i’m going thro. i even took some time off the gym because i’m blaming it for the cause of the exhaustion (almost everytime i feel worst when going). now i don’t go to the gym and fear of returning because what if i get worst? after some time off i still feel fatigued even sometimes not wanting to walk or climb stairs. even tho i feel like this i want to pick up sports and i still kinda want to weightlift.

thoughts?

7. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

@Ruby_, I have indeed dealt with panic attacks! I agree with looking into the workings of Claire Weekes. And I promise that this can be overcome - the brain is neuroplastic and always changing. This is not permanent!

I've written about this topic here and 100% still stand by my words - I think this might help you:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/nocturnal-panic-attacks.17881/#post-95223 (Nocturnal panic attacks)

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/nocturnal-panic-attacks.17881/#post-95238 (Nocturnal panic attacks)

You are going to be okay! :) I totally understand how anxiety makes you feel like you're dying or going to lose control - you are not alone. Please let me know if you have any questions on the posts linked above as I am very happy to answer them.

PS: I love your Lion King icon so much!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  8. Dorado

@stevow7, I dealt with chronic fatigue after overcoming mono years ago (which was totally related to my stress levels, not permanent effects of mono like some people believe). I also recently had a bout of extreme fatigue after going out with friends a few months ago. Healthy individuals who experience chronic fatigue are definitely affected by the mind-body connection (TMS)!

Dr. Sarno, Dr. Schubiner, Steve Ozanich, etc. have all confirmed this. Here's an article written by Schubiner on the topic: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/unlearn-your-pain/201606/explaining-the-unexplainable-chronic-fatigue-syndrome (Explaining the Unexplainable: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)

Central sensitization is often used to refer to pain that should have already gone away once the body heals, but the mind-body connection keeping it going due to emotions. This can also apply to fatigue due to anxiety, depression, conditions such as mono, and more.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Shakermaker likes this.
  9. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

what exactly do you mean by “This can also apply to fatigue due to anxiety, depression, conditions such as mono, and more.”?

thanks for replying!

10. Dorado

@stevow7, just like "central sensitization" (a total mind-body/TMS component) can make someone who experiences a broken knee still experience pain even decades after they heal, chronic fatigue can also be brought on the same way! Sometimes our bodies get stuck in a "loop," but that doesn't mean we're damaged, and you can work yourself out of it by doing the mind-body/TMS work. Howard Schubiner's article does a great job of explaining this.

I had to ask myself why I was having the symptoms and remember it was an emotional process - that's how I got through it.

11. Ruby_

Ruby_ New Member

@Dorado
    Thank you so much for your reply with the great advice!

I actually struggle a lot with this *surrending* method..
    The last week was more or less positive for me because I managed to not have a panic attack .. TILL Yesterday..
    Again I was lying in my bed and watching a movie ( at 7 pm) as I again felt that my heart started to beat fast .. all the last time I could calm myself and tell to myself that its just anxiety and it went .. This time I also tried again to do it but I couldnt I calm myself and freaked out..
    My heart started to beat fast and I left the room.. I really dont know what to do because when I get this feeling of fear I really feel like Im dying.. I don’t understand how to not react to this…
    I get so weak, sweaty and begin to shake.. and then I can not stop thinking that now is something bad about to happen with me.. and I get this full blown attack - where I fear I might get a heart attack or a stroke or whatever..

Its just this overwhelming SYMPTOMS which start in the first place.. they are so fearful .. Its so strong, like my heart starts to beat fast (out of nowhere), I get extremly sweaty and shaky.. and this feelings are so extremly scary to me.. I cant tell other then fear them, because they feel so dangerous to me..

I dont know how to not react to heart which beats with 160 bpm, sweatyness, shakyness, hot flashes and so on.. HOW? :(
    I dont uderstand how you could just let this all be, whithout fearing it? I try, but it doesnt seem to work, because I honestly just freak out when I feel this.

12. Dorado

@Ruby_, what helped me is realizing that mind-body symptoms are experienced by every human and even animals, whether minor (an eye twitching when you’re angry) or more severe (like my situation a few years ago). I realized there was nothing to fear when I understood that the symptoms are not permanent, and I ultimately had control and power. Patience is needed - that’s why going back to living your fullest life helps. You’re able to learn how to enjoy the things you love again while letting your body calm down with time.

Passions are the best distractions, even more than trying to calm yourself down (which can have the opposite effect for some people). When I was having panic attacks, I’d call my mom and talk to her about her day or ask a friend to come over. If I was in the office, I would find a valid reason to call someone about a project I was managing (and there was ALWAYS someone to call about a deadline - I never wasted their time or mine, ha). My cat is an absolute godsend and playing made me feel better quickly, too. People helped distract me because being alone allowed me to get too deep in my thoughts, but other people are okay with being alone and watching movies, reading books, etc. It took my mind off the symptoms and helped me and my nervous system relax!

When I was alone, this might sound strange, but I once heard someone say they put sunglasses on in their house (can apparently help with your sensory processing when in a state of panic), listened to music they loved, and danced around. Sometimes I would do this and it did help. Distractions were everything for me!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Drew likes this.
  13. Ruby_

Ruby_ New Member

@Dorado .. thank you so much for your help..
    Just now I went with some friends to a shopping mall, we ate there and I had some wine, after this wine my heart now is again beating with 115 bpm.. and as Im now back home I again starting to focus a lot on *what is wrong with me* :/
    Idk Dorado, its like I cant stop thinking that I might die because of my heart beating this fast.. I just can not not think otherwise.. its so frustrating because it sets on my panic attacks and then Im in total fear/ doom... its so horrible .. It so feels like Im dying!!!! I cant stand this symptoms :((

14. Dorado

@Ruby_, I am so very sorry you’re feeling this way. Tachycardia is most certainly a common symptom of panic attacks. Additionally, wine and other alcohols can increase my heart rate - this used to scare me when I’d go to clubs in college. I thought I’d have a heart attack on the dance floor, but then my favorite song would come on or someone cool would walk by and I’d suddenly forget about it. I’d spend the night dancing and running around, often staying up until 4 AM (or later!) at the Greek life houses. So much for a heart attack, right? Distractions really have always helped me! :)

When the doctors rule out other conditions, we can assure ourselves we are okay and that it’s all anxiety. Have you received words of encouragement from your doctors? Do they know how stressed you are over these symptoms?

What also helped me was talking to an incredibly supportive therapist. Have you tried speaking to someone? You deserve to strong support, and your life is worth investing in yourself and your emotional well-being. You can get through this!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  15. IrishMonkey92

IrishMonkey92 New Member

Unfortunately I’m near breaking point. I’ve been trying to heed people’s advice from here who have recovered. Particularly Dorado’s, Balto’s and HillBilly. The penny hasn’t seemed to have dropped and I’m suffering more than ever despite what I thought was recovery.

I never thought I’d say this, but I think I’m getting suicidal ideation. I’m not one of those people. I valued my life too much. I just can’t cope or put up with the suffering and being uncomfortable everyday.

16. Hayley

Hayley Peer Supporter

I’m so sorry that you’re feeling so desperate, sometimes living with so much pain is an unbearable burden. I don’t have any answers for you but please don’t give up. Sending you a big hug x

Dorado likes this.
  17. Dorado

@IrishMonkey92, I am also so very sorry you are struggling. I know what it’s like to hit rock bottom, and I must say that I am very grateful to be where I am today. Sometimes when I’m having a wonderful day, it hits me yet again that I would’ve missed out on some of the best times of my life had I given up on things like my job, relationships, etc. When I was in so much pain I couldn’t even touch a computer mouse without wanting to scream, I never would’ve guessed just how many incredible experiences were waiting for me - without pain! Your presence matters and you deserve support. Are there any local doctors and/or counselors you trust to work with? If not, are online resources (e.g., MDLIVE, TMS therapists, etc.) available to you?

Please know that we are always here to talk and we do not judge how anybody feels - many of us have felt like we were stuck. We understand how intense those types of feelings are and want to reference the types of support that can best help you. Sometimes more support is needed than forums alone. Have you looked into these options?

There is always an answer to every problem. People don't truly want to die - they only wish for their pain and suffering to stop, but they can't see a way out of that pain and suffering. But every problem has a solution. Your pain and suffering are not permanent, and there are people who can help you find the right solutions and work with you to build a great life for yourself. Nobody on this forum is hopeless.

Sending you lots of warmth and healing thoughts. ❤️

Mala and Hayley like this.
  18. Jane.Fearless

Jane.Fearless New Member

I wanna thank you so much for your Thread !

you mention so many thoughts that I have, so many worries and fears and show that the right way is exactly that not to deal with it too much! thank you thank you thank you !!!

Dorado likes this.
  19. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

This was incredible thx you

Dorado likes this.
  20. Dorado