1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Amber M. Is my groin pain TMS?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi I recently became pain free from back pain thanks to Dr Sarno s Audio Book and learning all about TMS, I am back in the gym now and I am now experiencing Groin pain, this happened the last time I started back at the gym, I went to my GP and he sent me for a Scan as I had a hernia operation years ago (on the opposite side of my current pain) the scan was clear! This is exactly the same as then! Is this a possibility that this is TMS as there doesn't seem to be reference to groin pain in the Books or Audio Book! Please Comment on this as I value opinions, Thanks.

2. Amber Murphy LCSW

Amber Murphy LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    First of all, congratulations on becoming pain free!

It is quite possible that this groin pain is TMS. With your history, it may even be likely. However, it is always important to rule out the structural first. It is possible you could have injured yourself at the gym or elsewhere. The first step is to make an appointment with your GP and verify that there is not a structural injury. Once you have confirmed that you have not sustained a structural injury, you have a green light to start your TMS work.

Remember, our brain can send TMS pain anywhere. It is searching for the symptom that is going to scare and preoccupy you. The groin may be an easy target for TMS pain as you once had surgery there (albeit on the other side) and may buy into the symptoms easier than other locations. It is not uncommon for a new symptom to pop up once we have defeated an existing one as the brain is seeking a new source of preoccupation.

Once you have ruled out a structural issue, continue with your TMS work and you will beat this groin pain just as you did the back pain.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.