1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Learning to drive with Frequency and Urgency Symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jonconner, Mar 25, 2021.

1. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

Hi Everyone,

I suffer from frequency and urgency urination symptoms and have to learn to drive.

I’m super nervous about having an anxiety attack while driving thinking I’m gonna pee.

any help or tips? Cause the little voice in my head is telling me not to start learning cause of my urination symptoms!!!

thanks

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds to me like your primitive fearful brain doesn't want you to learn to drive, because it believes that it's not safe. Perhaps sit down and do some free-writing on that topic and see what comes out? The key to successful free-writing is to not let your brain influence what you put down - no editing, and no judging, just let the words come out and see what they say.

Then you need to figure out how to convince your fearful brain that its concerns about driving are not valid, and especially that there is no valid reason to think that driving has anything to do with urinary urgency because there is nothing wrong with your urinary system.

Or, perhaps you will decide that your fearful brain is right, and make a clear decision not to learn to drive.

One way or another you must resolve this, because where you are right now is stuck, and your brain is using an inconvenient and embarrassing symptom to keep you stuck!

Anyone else? Perhaps some relevant affirmations for jon?

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I used to have a frequency of urination problem when leaving the house. I used the "talking to my brain" approach, which is our conscious brain overriding the unconscious brain. I would empty my bladder before leaving, and then anytime I felt the urge to urinate I would say to myself or out loud if alone, "There's no need to urinate now. You just completely emptied your bladder. This is just anxiety. Relax." or something to that effect. This is a technique, that in my experience, works very well in many situations. However, it seems completely absurd, so it is easy to discount it. Try it. I think you will be surprised.