1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Legs tingling only after they relax

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lakitzi, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Lakitzi

Lakitzi New Member

I realized I'm unconsciously reducing blood flow to my legs which causes them to feel weak, shaky and stiff. When I relax them and feel the blood flowing and the legs warming up I also start getting tingling/pins and needles. Not just for a minute or so, it keeps going as long as I concentrate in relaxing and letting normal blood flow.
    Does anyone else get this?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @Lakitzi and welcome.

Is your question based on Dr. Sarno's theory of oxygen deprivation in muscles? I have to tell you that the TMS community has pretty much moved on from that theory, although I think it's still a decent one for beginners - that's because bringing more oxygen into our bodies by learning to breathe deeply and calmly relax our muscles is quite important to the goal of calming down our fearful brains - and it's our fearful brains that cause TMS symptoms. Do a search on the mental health benefits of deep breathing to see what I'm talking about - and then start practicing it (there are tons of free resources) because it's one of the easiest ways to get into the physical relaxation that must go with mindfulness and self-calming practices. You can't be mindful if your body is mindlessly all tensed up! Prior experience with yoga or meditation is beneficial.

As for your symptoms - I'm not going to address them in detail, other than to say that "nervy" (neurological) symptoms are extremely common in TMS. They take many different forms - too many to comprehend or list. Just accept that if your medical practitioners don't have a good explanation for such symptoms - or if they are so inconsistent that you don't have anything substantial that you can report to your practitioners- then they are probably caused by your TMS brain mechanism trying to distract you with fear.

The real thing you want to understand and visualize is that all physical sensations (and processes) in our bodies are created by our brains. This is a known neurological fact (look up phantom limb pain for a good example and explanation). This means that when the TMS fear mechanism is in place, it basically tells our brains to give us a physical symptom - any physical symptom - in order to keep us distracted from messy emotions. The goal is to keep us on edge, alert, and always looking for danger (which to our primitive brains means actual physical danger, like a sabre-tooth tiger behind a tree). TMS is a survival mechanism, in fact - not a "condition" to be cured. It doesn't work well in the modern world, but thankfully, for those of us lucky enough to live in physical safety, TMS can absolutely be managed. This is why we are here, and what this work is all about.

Shaky legs were one of my symptoms - feel free to read my Profile story. Be sure to read stories in the Success Stories subforum. Start working one of our free programs. If you don't know much about this work, I recommend the SEP: Structured Educational Program, on the main tmswiki.org site.

Lakitzi likes this.
  3. Lakitzi

Lakitzi New Member

Thank you so much for the detailed response!
    I read your success story and started the SEP, I feel like I'm on the right path now, already had some new insights. I really appreciate all your help

JanAtheCPA likes this.