1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Little to no pain, but Overwhelming anxiety!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JenV, May 11, 2015.

1. JenV

JenV New Member

When pain symptoms begin to ease up, did anyone experience lots of anxiety or chest pains?

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Katy Elise likes this.
  2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Can say it did for me but I experience some anxiety now and again and chest pains. Actually just last night I had a middle of the night attack! This was fairly common until I learned about TMS. When my pain began to ease I took an awful spasm (where the sun don't shine) and my foot became unbearable to stand on.
    Anxiety is simply another manifestation and you should try to breath through it and journal . I'm still resistant to the journaling but realising it's the only way I can healthily express myself!
    Sounds like you have the classic symptom imperative. As long as you have ruled out any serious cause of chest pain it's likely to TMS trying to distract again. It's so odd but when I first experienced these anomalies I knew it was the real deal.

JenV and Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) like this.
  3. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Yes, I had the same experience and I think it is quite common. I also think it is a definite sign of progress.

The anxiety gets better over time. But I did have to look into ways to make my anxiety better. Recently I started a new job with a lot of pressure and I've found "The Worry Cure" by Robert Leahy very helpful. There are lot's of other helpful books and programs out there. I'm sure others will chime in.

Katy Elise and JenV like this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, "anxiety" is what the Good Doctor calls an affective (emotional) TMS symptom, serving the same purpose as a structural one--distraction, a protective psychological defense mechanism. I've had several panic attacks over my lifetime that resulted in ER visits--there's nothing like feeling you are having a heart attack and dying to induce a little panic. The kindly ER doc said all was fine, that chest pain induced panic attacks were one of the two most frequent causes for ER visits, the other was bleeds caused by over use of NSAID's.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    JenV likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've been there, with anxiety and panic attacks.
    I had a panic attack some years ago, before learning about TMS.
    I worried myself into acute anxiety and that resulted in a panic attack.
    I thought I was having a heart attack and went to an ER. An intern
    checked my heart and said it was fine and that I "just" had an anxiety attack.
    He said he got them all the time. It was a welcome relief, and I have not had
    an anxiety or panic attack since. But anxiety does raise its ugly head now and then
    and I do some others suggest in their replies here... deep breathing and knowing it's TMS.
    And I also laugh my worries away.

laradara, Tennis Tom and JenV like this.
  6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, the folks with experience treat anxiety as TMS!! What is underneath it? is the inquiry...what is it trying to distract you from feeling?

Tennis Tom and JenV like this.
  7. JenV

JenV New Member

Thank you everyone. The anxiety only comes sporadically, usually when there is no pain. I got a stubborn nagging between the shoulder blades last night... That is one of the places it likes to go. My pain is moving around a lot... 3 or 4 different places a day (upper back, lower back, neck, feet) I know that all of this is TMS, there's no other logical explanation.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. JenV

JenV New Member

As far as what I'm angry about... It could be many things... All of which I thought I'd gotten past.

9. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Claire Weekes audios are really helpful for me. I find they help anxiety, but also help with how I am thinking about my pain. I understand "think psychologically" better since I began to listen to the series "Herbie" originally posted, but has recently been bumped up in recent threads. I have listened 4 times and keep learning more.

As others have said, symptoms moving and changing is good news!

JenV likes this.
  10. Tennis Tom

If you're searching for more possibilities, check out the R-H list:

THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS SCALE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

G'luck!
    tt

Lizzy likes this.
  11. JenV

JenV New Member

12. laradara

laradara New Member

I have had SO MUCH ANXIETY lately (seemingly), and as a result, my chest is really hurting/feeling "FULL"/BLOATED, & like I can't catch my breath. Even though I am a TRUE believer in TMS, I still find myself worrying. I've been to the doctor recently, with chest spasms. They did an EKG, which, of course, was FINE. Help! Someone talk me out of this!

13. Tennis Tom

After I had my first panic attack, thinking it was a heart-attack and going to die--that'll make you a little panicky! My kindly family doctor gave me an rx for Xanax and told me to take one if I felt like that again. That was well over a decade ago, I think I've taken half of one. Knowing it's in the medicine cabinet just in case is a good feeling.

Maybe it's time to get some mild sedatives to calm you down so you can better focus on the TMS stuff and give your nervous system a break.

Ben, Lizzy and laradara like this.
  14. laradara

laradara New Member

Haha! Love it!!! Yes, I've been there! It's been better today already... Those symptoms are SO disconcerting! (Thank you for your response!)

Ben and Tennis Tom like this.
  15. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I think I'm the opposite of many members here........symptoms aren't that bad but they cause me an amazing amount of anxiety. For instance, this afternoon I had a hard twitch in my right side, it was only a once-and-done but I immediately was overcome with worry. Strangely enough, it was also the exact same place and intensity where I felt my first twitch back in Nov 2014 that basically kick started this whole year of hell (2015).

16. Tennis Tom

ANXIETY is also TMS, what's called an AFFECTIVE (emotional) TMS symptom.

laradara and Simplicity like this.
  17. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Yes Tom, but the physical symptom is what appears to be causing the anxiety........so with the frequency of occurrence I am basically worried all the time, it keeps perpetuating itself.

18. JenV

JenV New Member

I found after beating back, neck, and foot pain, other symptoms arose...some that I suffered with during adolescence or childhood and some that subsided during the 6 years I had back pain. I got Louise Hay's book HEAL YOUR LIFE. I don't believe everything that she does, but the basic premise is just what I needed. It is very similar to what I was getting with the TMS therapist I was seeing. (It got too expensive). It's all about the thoughts we have. I didn't realize all the abusive comments that I say to myself in a day. Things are getting better.

linnyc87, Lizzy and laradara like this.
  19. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Chicken-and-egg. It's all anxiety.

linnyc87 and laradara like this.
  20. Tennis Tom

If you haven't already, see a physician (preferably a TMS one) or a TMS therapist and tell them you are "worried all the time". It's their JOB to help You! If your instincts tell you they are BS'ers, fire them and find another who can do their job. You have to keep trying or it's hopeless, no one else will do it for you.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?" .... Hillel

Boston Redsox likes this.