1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Mega-relapse, need help!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Orion2012, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

So much of my first recovery was learning about TMS and breaking the conditioning. This time, I'm already a believer. I don't have six months if thinking about disc bulges and possibly needing surgery to overcome.

I already know all about TMS. I know I'm not injured. What is it that I need to do this time, I wonder?

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I would say relax and pay it no attention and it should gradually go away.

plum and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. Orion2012

I suspect "relax and ignore" is a good call.

Shifty symptoms are a good sign, right? Back pain is on and off, mostly off, and much less severe.

Now it's mostly a numb leg. It's really annoying, I've got this horrible, awkward limp. But almost no pain at all.

4. birdsetfree

That does sound annoying. Is the limp possible to overcome with some effort? It would be good to show your fear brain you know whats going on. If not I would still just relax and have patience, you do seem to be improving. And yes shifting symptoms is a great sign.

5. Orion2012

I can reduce but not eliminate the limp with some mental effort. It is so strange how my leg is just kind of numb and uncooperative. I 100% know its nerves, not structural, yet it continues for now. But I did ride my bike back and forth from work today, which I'm happy about. No issues except getting on and off was a little awkward.

Tennis Tom and birdsetfree like this.
  6. birdsetfree

Sounds like its all going in the right direction so keep up the good work with more relaxing and ignoring!

7. Orion2012

Had to do the follow up with the family doc and it was a good visit. She is not a TMS doc, but I've been very straight forward about my belief that it is stress/nerves and she is supportive. Let her know I really was just returning to rule out anything serious. Told her about Sarno and she seemed receptive to the theory. She checked out the numb leg very thoroughly and said my neurologicals were good. She had no major concerns said "have no fear" about my plan to ignore it until it improves. She also said my symptoms were consistent with a herniated disc and that a conservative approach is best for these anyway. I told her back surgeries are only 50% successful and she said "not even." Maybe more MDs are starting to get it. I love that she told me me "have no fear."

8. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

Your story is inspiring. I just read it from the beginning for the first time today. I've had a slow slow recovery process myself. I made huge strides when I first discovered my pain was psychologically based, but my body is having a hard time getting over that last bit of not-nearly-as-bad-but-still-lingering-chronic-and-annoying pain. Keep believing. I often have to keep telling myself: think psychological!

plum likes this.
  9. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Orion
    Thanks for posting the Eckhart Tolle "Pain Dissolving" video. It resonated with me on many levels. I found thinking of my issues with pain as a separate entity was/is helpful.
    Glad you are doing better.
    Lainey

10. Orion2012

Determined to live the life I want, I joined my cousin on an epic hike this weekend, despite the numb leg. I had a great time! Unfortunately, I sprained my ankle. For real, not TMS. But I toughed it out and it was awesome! Now my ankle is turning purple. Oh, well...

Ellen likes this.
  11. Orion2012

So, the sciatica persists. Mostly numb leg. Occasionally, calf pain, or a little twinge in the low back. I just keep ignoring it.

As I get better at ignoring the pain, I notice myself getting more emotional...

12. Islander

Islander Peer Supporter

How is your skin now?