1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My boss is more twisted than I realized...advice please

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Mad, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Mad

Mad Peer Supporter

I work as a phlebotomist...the lab is a portion of the Pathology dept. I've been there 15 months. Before I was even out of my probationary period, I had taken over inventory management, except I hadn't been granted final ordering privileges-ya know, budget impact and all. For the last six months I've been the lab representative for the Inpatient Loyalty Committee. I've received cross training in the Pathology Office and Histology (morgue) for about the last six months. Recently, I applied for the job running the path office. There were three other applicants, and a panel of four interviewers. My boss tried desperately to talk me out of it. At the end of the process, I was the number one pick across the board- and my boss undermined the entire process- hired an outsider to keep me in my current position.

I'm FURIOUS.

So. My current thought is this: if she thinks I'm that damned important right where I'm at, it's time for her to start treating me as such. I love my job and my company, and I fully intend on staying there and moving up. But clearly my boss doesn't want to allow that.
    So what now?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Mad,
    I can see why you are Mad, and determined! It seems you have to recognize and be with your sense of not being supported, and perhaps voice this to a friend or your boss.
    Good Luck. People are so messed up!;)
    Andy B

3. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi Mad,
    Don't bottle it up. Communicate. Put it in writing and cc HR. Start a paper trail.
    Also, you can ask for a formal meeting with your boss and explain your goals and intentions.
    Sometimes bosses are narcissistic pieces of crap that align everything to make their lives and work load easiest. Don't be surprised if they lie to your face and throw you under the bus. That's why you have to cover your butt with a paper trail and always look out for your best interest.
    Good luck.

4. W@rrior32

W@rrior32 New Member

I would be pretty upset as well. Things like that make me want to go on one of those websites that tell your background report and see if there's anything suspicious with the boss... I say this cause a similar situation happened to a friend of mine who was constantly being pushed down by their boss. Then, there was something private that somehow got out and it was the last stray for my buddy. They decided for fun they would see what comes up, then, when they saw what came up they just left the report in the bin in the copy room where it made it's way around the office.

I'm not saying it's a good idea at all to put peoples records out there. I'm just telling you what happened to a buddy of mine.

If I was in your situation I would do my very best to communicate and talk about how you feel to not just your boss but also their boss or hr etc. Sometimes these meetings can help by not only communicating your side so they know how important that position is to you but also a lot of the time a boss may be holding you down to make their job easier and not necessarily because it's the best decision for the company.

I hope you get this worked out and best of luck!