1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Neck pain not responding

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Camille417, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Camille417

Camille417 Newcomer

Hi all! I discovered The Way Out by Alan Gordon last year and have been battling IBS, Rectal Pain, and neck pain. What’s weird is I’ve been working on myself for about 7 months now and it’s been helping a lot except for the neck pain. I’m starting to question whether I should go get another x ray because even though I’ve had neck pain for several years and I’m sure it’s neuroplastic, I’m wondering why I’m having more trouble with it. I have no more fear and in fact also healed from 27 years of anxiety around the same time so that not the issue. I’ve also been journaling and working with the curable app and listening to the like mind, like body podcasts. If anyone here has any insight or advice for me would be great! Thanks!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I actually stopped having neck pain and muscle spasms before I discovered Dr. Sarno (and this forum) when an "alternative" MD who practiced cranio-sacral bodywork got me to stop seeing my chiropractor of many years and encouraged me to have a conversation with my A-O joint (the one that always went "out") and to guide it back into place with some gentle hand movement (not pressure). And it totally worked, and still works to this day, the very few times I sense it might want to give me issues. I was practiced enough in mindfulness at the time that I recognized this as a form of mindful visualization, which I accepted as extremely powerful.

However, without TMS knowledge, the neck spasms were soon replaced by other symptoms. Then I discovered Dr. Sarno a few months later (this was in 2011) and everything he wrote was like finding the missing pieces to the puzzle. I never looked back - or went back to any of the many practitioners I'd been seeing in the two years "Before Sarno" when my symptoms just kept ramping up and piling on.

Some TMS "purists" might say that this goes against the advice to ignore specific symptoms, but I've never been a purist about anything. I've found that life is easier to navigate if you accept that things are many shades of grey, rather than strictly black & white (thank goodness).

~Jan

westb likes this.