1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New here! Pudendal nevralgia due to cycling... TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Bananas00, Apr 27, 2021.

1. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @Olala,

1.) Don't worry about it and shift focus to your life.

2.). That's a false belief. We dismantle false beliefs by applying LOGIC. We see how ridiculous our thoughts are and we challenge them with accuracy and logic.

3.). Fear stems from doubt. We have to tolerate fear when engaging in triggers and doing things we associate with symptoms. In terms of general fear and fear at night, you have to identify the exact doubts you are harboring. When we banish doubt, the fear goes away because we have more confidence. When we challenge fears in regards to symptoms, we also become more confident. Reduction of fear and focus is the name of the game!

Balsa11 likes this.
  2. hollywood

hollywood New Member

Bananas00:

Yup. This sounds familiar. I too am professional with the same type A anxious personality.

I used to have chronic daily headaches for two years that seemed to be treatment resistant. After a period of time I just stopped all treatments and things slowly got better and then disappeared!
    After 6 pain free years I developed CPPS. (Totally useless DX by the way)

It's all anxiety and inner tension related. (Fight or Flight in my opinion ) I find that when my mind in truly occupied my symptoms lessen and or abate!

You will get better as will we all. However, healing is never linear and ya can't put a time frame to it.

Balsa11 likes this.
  3. Bananas00

Bananas00 Peer Supporter

and how is your CPPS now?

4. Bananas00

Bananas00 Peer Supporter

In other words, how did you cope with the pain? Were you able to find relief?

5. Bananas00

Bananas00 Peer Supporter

Even though I have the EXACT symptoms of PN... like all of them....?

6. Bananas00

Bananas00 Peer Supporter

Exactly. It's a HUGE fear. I fear not being able to exercise again. I fear not being able to have hurtless sex again. I fear being "disabled" and stay single for the rest of my life. I fear not being able to have children. I fear losing my job because of it. I fear not being able to sit comfortably ever again.....

7. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes you are catastrophizing which is a common pitfall and the thought of never getting better is what is driving the TMS. That thought is a false belief. I can't emphasize enough that you stop visiting doctors and PT's, and throw away any cushions or what Dr. Sarno called "crutches". Gradually challenge your fears and start re engaging in life as you normally would. You are already totally fine. Believe it because it's the truth. Your nerve doesn't need to "heal". Nothing is "broken" or "damaged". These are notions and fantasy propagated by the medical industry.

Balsa11 likes this.
  8. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Agree with this. Spacing out gets that chilling mood back, and then you can shift your attention to something you need to do, change your attitude, take a break.

9. Balsa11

Most of these are unlikely, the sex part could be triggering but should also get better over time. Spasms aren't permanent.

10. Balsa11

Exactly! You don't need crutches for a muscle spasm.

11. Balsa11

Sometimes just facing the fear means doing nothing, only looking it in the eye.

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  12. hollywood

hollywood New Member

Bananas00:

It is better since onset for sure. However, I am still going through the process.

I thought back to my chronic headache days and I remember my stages of healing going something like this:

1) Fear- This was the pain onset and the fear that it would never go away or always come back.
    2) Frustration Went through all sorts of treatments with very little lasting relief. The actual fear of pain was gone at this point. I

You conquered IC while completing Law School so this shows that you are resilient much like myself. That same resilience will carry you through this time as well.
    Be kind to yourself push when you have to and rest when you need to!

13. hollywood

hollywood New Member

14. Bananas00

Bananas00 Peer Supporter

Your message is empty!

15. Bananas00

Bananas00 Peer Supporter

The thing is that I want and need to get back to training at least for my mental health. I wanna try to go back to running but then I wonder if it is too early to do so.

16. Bananas00

Bananas00 Peer Supporter

Your #2 seems incomplete

17. hollywood

hollywood New Member

2. Frustrated phase. During this time I no longer feared the headaches anymore. However, it became emotionally draining dealing with pain everyday.

3. F- it phase. I starting doing everything I wanted to do regardless of the outcome of my CDH. I really did care if I ever had a day free of pain again. I just wanted to live life. So I changed jobs, moved and even starting working out again in the gym

After a while my bad days seemed to happen less frequently. Then one day while driving to the office I realized that my head no longer hurt. The pain just vanished.

So here I am 6 years later dealing with CPPS. However, I now know about TMS and how anxiety and tension can produce pain. I am still stuck in the Frustrated phase but I do not fear the pain. I do everything from work to workout with tpain. Actually, I find physically activity lessens my pain. Go figure!

I believe my frustration with pain is what allows it to hang on.

Idearealist likes this.
  18. Bananas00

Bananas00 Peer Supporter

Hi there. I somehow managed the pain since April and even got back to biking- i wasnt 100% pain free but it was really manageable - I got off the meds, stop seeing my PT and I was basically happy and able to get going with everything in my life. So here it is: 2 weeks ago pain got back in a vengeance... like 50% worse than before. The pelvic pain is just excraciating and I just can't connect the dots. The thing is that this time, the pain is so intense that I have a lot of difficulty working and sleeping, and of course can't exercise at all... Nothing seems to alleviate the pain or bring a little relief (ive tried over-the-counter meds, hot baths, heat, cold, etc.). My bladder hurts so much I have to go to the bathroom every 15 min or so. I haven't seen my doctor yet because I fear he will put me back on pregabalin and I despised it. Anyways - I'm stuck here without knowing what to do. I guess I'm looking for tips or even comfort....

19. abheerao

abheerao Newcomer

Hi @Bananas00,

Came across your post from 18 months ago today....my case is similar to yours...how are you doing now?

20. Bananas00

Bananas00 Peer Supporter

Hi there! Well, i've applied the TMS principles and while it was very difficult at first, the pain subsided over time. I continued my activities including exercising such as cycling WITH the pain, in an attempt to retrain my brain. Now i'm back to cycling, traveling, working, and enjoying life to the fullest. Do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to further discuss this.

JanAtheCPA likes this.