1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pandemic Panic? Read this article

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Catticus7

Catticus7 Newcomer

The diamond Princess piece is really helpful. I have had a cough for 5 weeks, no fever, started with cold, and 2 weeks ago started with chest wall pain on coughing, but in a specific spot. Have felt very anxious with covid. Can't help feel it's TMS now. Chronic cough can be caused by anxiety (so TMS) as can pain. And we are bombarded with coughing as a socially acceptable symptom (unlike anxiety). Anyone else chest symptoms?

2. dreamweaver

dreamweaver New Member

Thank you
    Was very helpful to listen to befor sleep. Also this is giving me great motivation to sleep early

3. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hi all!
    My symptoms have moved. I rarely have my lower back bother me and can usually talk my brain out of it with two or three sentences. Not this time.

Over the March 13th weekend I felt like a black cloud was moving across the globe and I felt dread as it loomed closer to my community. I live two hours from Kirkland, Washington. Monday morning my first thought was, I don't feel as anxious this morning. If I had been a little more awake I would have noticed that there was a TMS lightbulb above my head! I began to roll over to get out of bed and my back spasmed. Of course, no wonder my emotional response was calmer!! I was able to talk to my brain and move about, exercise and go grocery shopping with a full cart. I am talking to my brain about my emotional situation and that I am physically strong.

Having said that, my husband, age 62, and I have moved to our house that is four hours away and in a more rural area. Usually we go for a weekend and take a suitcase and a few groceries. This time we don't know how long we'll be there. Both of us are not going to be working for an unknown amount of time.

Therefore, I walked almost 7,000 steps and went up our fight of stairs 26 times in 90 minutes loading up my car. It was 29 degrees outside and I was in a short sleeved t-shirt. My torso was sweating! My back is strong.

That was yesterday. Today I am wondering if the increase in the back pain could be soreness from carrying all the stuff I moved. If so, I will be better in a couple days, and I know exercise will make it feel better.

Every morning for the last little while I, and each of you, have woke up in the morning to a changed world. This is an interesting TMS experience because all of the members are coping with the same saber-toothed tiger. Acute and across the globe. Very interesting to all be in this together. And also heartwarming!

Thank you all for being here for each other!!

No hugs and kisses,
    But much hope for wellness,
    Lizzy

Update: after a couple hours of moving around my back is feeling a little better, I'm sure it is all TMS!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    plum, JanAtheCPA and TG957 like this.
  4. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

5. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Plum
    I went to you tube and was able to open this.
    Thanks for posting.
    Lainey

plum likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Catticus, don't let a cough go on without having it looked at. Nothing to do with the coronavirus unless you end up with a weakened immune system, and that would be extra bad right now. Two summers ago I ignored a cough that I didn't notice was getting worse and I ended up with walking pneumonia. Ironically, it was back pain from coughing-induced muscle spasms that landed me in urgent care, where they totally ignored that and got really serious about the condition of my lungs.

Looking back I understood that I had allowed myself to become rundown as a result of emotional distress - a different version of TMS, right? But at that point, I needed medical intervention, which I should have sought much earlier.

plum and Lizzy like this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

On this theme, an appeal to everyone to be sensible, especially if you have an underlying respiratory condition. I’m diagnosed asthmatic but haven’t used any prescription meds for the best part of thirty years. Last year there were a couple of occasions at the pool where the chlorine levels were high and it compromised my breathing. I saw my doctor, who gave me an old-fashioned look and a small friendly lecture, and then he issued a prescription for the blue Ventolin inhaler. Just in case.

Given the potentially grave consequences of this pandemic I am immensely grateful I have it to hand. I urge anyone reading this who has asthma, COPD, emphysema...any of these to ensure you have fresh medication (it has a use by date) and that you are aware of what to do in an emergency. I found some great basic information on our national asthma site and I made sure my husband knows what to do if ever, god forbid, I’m in a very bad way.

Please don’t be cavalier, and don’t assume your symptoms are TMS, and especially don’t be reckless enough to gamble on treating Coronavirus as if it were TMS.

Plum ❤️

JanAtheCPA, Hayley, Lizzy and 2 others like this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

This should be interesting viewing: Russell Brand (something of a Marmite* celeb) and the evergreen genius of Gabor Maté:

*for the Brits

@JanAtheCPA you must want to throttle me for these links but I don’t know how to edit them. Sorry :oops:

Lainey, Aimee88 and Hayley like this.
  9. JanAtheCPA

Haha, as opposed to not posting them at all? :hilarious:

Seriously, I can not wait (if I can grab the time) to find out how Russell Brand and Gabor Mate mesh - who'd have thought?

plum likes this.
  10. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

deaf heaven
    Take a few minutes and listen to the video posted by Plum titled Pandemics and Infodemics. It resonated with me and gave me pause. It may offer you some insight as well.
    Lainey

11. deafheaven

deafheaven Peer Supporter

Thanks Lainey, watching this. Sorry I deleted my previous post.

For those wondering, I'm getting chest pain and panic attacks from this stupid virus. And my brain is telling me "what if I have it"

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  12. JanAtheCPA

And that is what our brains were designed to do! But in our modern world we've allowed that function to go into overdrive to the point where it's harmful rather than helpful, then when the world gives us COVID-19, it's far too easy to go into full panic mode.

Read the original article, watch the videos, and I also recommend recent podcasts. The Mind And Fitness Podcast had Christi Uipi on last week (#115) and she was great. And Nicole Sachs, of course, #73. All are specifically addressing pandemic panic.

13. JanAtheCPA

By the way, I live about 7 miles from the nursing home in Kirkland, Washington that was the epicenter of the US outbreak. Last week it was reported that a 90 year old woman from the home has recovered from COVID19. She was in intensive care and her family had been prepared to say their goodbyes, but she turned it around, and now she is sitting up and asking them to bring her homemade soup. There was a photo of her sitting in a chair next to her hospital bed, looking cheerful and feisty.

14. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Yeah!!!

15. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

The UK has gone into lockdown. I’ve only just stopped crying. I’m relieved this has happened because many, many people have not been taking the situation seriously. This past weekend has been described as a last reckless roll of the dice before the storm. Dear Christ.

16. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

The state I live in (Maryland) has closed most business's, schools, etc. down as of last week. I have stayed in my home since March 13th until today when my hubby and I took a drive to drop off tax papers to our accountant's office. (this is the time of year that most pay taxes in the US). I was surprised at the amount of traffic. Not rush hour, but lots of people lining up (in their cars) to order fast food sandwiches. Restaurants have been closed for eating in for over a week now. The only businesses open are grocery stores and gas stations, no stores, hair salons, schools, etc. are open. (although I did see a local liquor store open). We filled up on gas (using a plastic disposable glove) on this outing. My hubby did some grocery shopping, luckily I stocked up on some dog and cat food prior to this, also have the required tp allotment.
    I have a beloved nephew who lives in Manhattan, a tiny flat/apt. I worry about him. He is 30, so most likely a virus will not be so devastating for him. But, I still worry. I have another nephew, much older, who is in lockdown in California. I worry about him as well as he is a recent (1 month ago) widower. I have spent hours worrying over the last three weeks. Probably created some faux symptoms in myself too, cough, throat irritation, general malaise, just like deafheaven has described. I have laid low, slept lots, worried some, (read . . .alot) read some, mostly been in a hermit state of mind. A good friend, living in Glasgow is now under the lockdown you are describing. She is worried. Lives alone.

So. . .not on topic, but here are two wonderful videos that can inspire and uplift, I hope they come through.
    Enjoy.
    Lainey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3eXT60rbBVk&app=desktop (From us, for you.)

17. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  18. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

7DF3B07A-0D02-4621-8C36-0E633C0237CA.jpeg Bless you @Lainey ❤️

Mostly I am relieved. Like you, we’ve been self-isolating (actually our lifestyle hasn’t changed much at all), and my brother too (he lives in one of the hardest hit London boroughs), but we have family members who have been carrying on as usual and it’s caused us both immense stress.

I even have an in law who flew back from Northern Italy just before they locked down and he came out of self-isolation after a few days because he felt ok and he’s been at the mother-in-laws! No concept at all of being asymptomatic! Or the consequences of this.

It saddens me that they had to be told this explicitly and have sanctions imposed to ensure compliance. This morning I feel calmer for knowing they are finally staying home, staying safe.

Lainey likes this.
  19. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Plum,
    Ha Ha! Good laugh. I had a good cry at watching the two videos I posted when they were sent my way. I had to send them on. One came up with just an address, the second as a picture. I'll never figure this stuff out! Both brought tears, good tears though.
    I too am calmer today. Maybe the passage of time, seeing the world change has been a HUGE revelation. Still sorting out what it means to me, at this point in my life.
    Stay safe, stay sane. You are thought of more often than you would imagine.
    Kindly
    Lainey

plum likes this.
  20. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

For me too. It’s a rousing, celebratory piece at the best of times but these videos, in very different ways, really heightened it for me. I found them very poignant. I’ve also passed them on. You’ve made me realise that classical music is an essential part of getting through this well. Thank you for that.

We are truly living in interesting times. I’m feeling quite reflective and peaceful. Downstairs it’s another story entirely, a little girl is having a full on screaming tantrum! God love her...her poor parents...it’s only Day One.

I am so grateful for my simple life. dancea

As are you my love, and with those thoughts come many blessings x

Lainey likes this.