1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pelvic Pain....Need some encouragement.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MissShamrocks, Jan 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Avy , be positive, "all your pain" will eventually go. I felt like you and I was full of despair after suffering for two years going the rounds of chiropractors, massage therapists etc. I feel far more confident now even though I have had one thing after another and I am still suffering, because I am learning to be indifferent to it. My therapist helped me with journaling , we discovered where my TMS was coming from by exploring my past childhood, then he told me to "pen vent" my anger and fear, this means writing it all down as quickly as you can letting all the emotions come from your head down through your arm and out through your hand. Keep writing it over and over until you feel exhausted with it then destroy it by screwing it up into a ball or as I did put it through the the shredder, then put it into the past. I had to write about sadness and loneliness also but I feel I don't need to do much about that now, I just write about any current emotion such as anxiety about a certain upcoming situation or event. Practice and you will get the hang of it. Some people keep their journals and look back on them but I don't I do not want to keep reminding myself of the past. I like doing what Dr Howard Schubiner says " I let go of issues that have bothered me in the past" and I add on "I forgive myself and others easily" You can do this Avy, there are a lot of people out there ready to help. You will be OK.

2. Avy

Avy New Member

Thx Abbo for encouraging me! I'm trying to stick with the program and I can see that my pain gets worse when I'm writing. I also listened to your advice and I never look back at what I wrote. We just have to be persistent, brave and lose fear I guess.

3. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Lovely to hear from you Avy have you read or listened to Claire Weeks audio? Eric wrote out a summary of her book on Help and Hope for your nerves. If you look up 'Lessons from Claire Weeks' by Eric on the tmswiki.org forum you will find a wealth of information on how to face up to and overcome fear, anxiety, tension and pain. It really is a brilliant post and Eric has done a great job in highlighting all the important information he has gleaned through her books and audios. I amongst many others have found it so helpful in combatting fear and anxiety. Do look it up. Keep trying Avy hang onto hope like we all do.

4. jcacciat

jcacciat Peer Supporter

Miss Shamrocks, I am also new to this forum and a 5 year veteran of TMS pelvic pain. I previously tried the Wise Anderson Protocol, which involves self-treatment PT and a relaxation technique that has never worked for me. I did get relief from some of my symptoms from the WA Protocol, but as some of the symptoms cleared, others intensified or became more stubborn. I finally realized this is TMS when I had my glutes dry needled and this caused a whole new set of pain symptoms. I knew about Sarno, but didn't really get it until this happened. I read A Divided Mind and stopped all physical treatment modalities about 2 months ago. I have already felt improvement. My thoughts: Do not put a time frame on this. Learn to enjoy the process itself, and then you won't care how long it takes. I have found that the less I give a damn about my symptoms, the better I feel. Don't get me wrong, there have been ups and downs and it can be frustrating and the emotions I am discovering scare the hell out of me. But I am coming to terms with not wanting to change how things are today, but instead just living my life, and that has been liberating.

billiewells and she333 like this.
  5. billiewells

billiewells Peer Supporter

Just came across this thread and whilst I do have a couple of pelvic issues, it is my leg that is the problem. However having received few threads to my query, I went scouting about and the answers in this thread are really inspirational. Thanks everyone

6. billiewells

billiewells Peer Supporter

Hi there
    I can relate to your post on so many levels, searching for similar symptom patterns, the patterns changing and even many of our symptom developments are similar. Also the lack of understanding or openness about TMS is a big problem. It certainly led me down several dead ends, which does not help the whole acceptance that it is TMS. I also agree that this resiurce and the fantastic support given is something missing here in the UK. I'm sure we can throw off this cultural bias and win the race like so many other success stories on here. Resolving the frustration and impatience and quietening my inner bully by trying to be kind is certainly key for e.

7. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

I found that my leg tenseness WAS related to pelvic tension - my psoas was like a knotted rope. Not any more! I speak to it with comforting mommy voice: "there, there... I know... you're scared... or mad... or sad." Bring on the feelings... they're okay. I thought they would kill me or I would go insane. It's just the ego, defending us from perceived danger; for me, that's even mild anxiety.
    Years ago I wrote a note on a yellow sticky note: "Feelings buried alive never die." I knew what I was talking about even when I didn't know what I was talking about. The wise part of me got this long before my intellect.
    Glad I found this thread. I find the Wise Anderson method dovetails nicely with TMS/Sarno work; it's about resting and accepting tension or pain instead of judging it, at least in my read of it. I do a kind of pelvic floor yoga flow during meditation, full of lovingkindness to every muscle, every cell. I listen to them and they often have stories to tell me.
    I just have to keep the channel open, which is humbling and often hard to remember. My ego is invested in outcomes, not process. My soul gets that this is a process thing, not a healing event.

billiewells and Anisha_d87 like this.
  8. Mala

Mala Well known member

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Bodhigirl and Anisha_d87 like this.
  9. Bodhigirl

So interesting, the idea of letting go of all physical therapy. I haven't been in years but I do yoga as part of my meditation; yoga that is based in opening the tight pelvic floor muscles and bringing breath to the parts of my body that spasm and create pain.
    I don't "just" work the unconscious aspect of this by talking to the unconscious, hurt kid inside me. I need to use my body in a loving and respectful way, giving it full range of motion regardless of fear.
    I used to take yoga classes and fear injury. I was waiting for the next "pop" until I realized the "pop" was meaningless; it was just my brain hollering for a break, some pain that gave me the excuse to ignore my psychological/emotional self and get attention, go to bed and rest. Now, like today being the 4th of July, I will take the day and rest. I don't need pain to give me permission to relax.
    In a dialogue with my unconscious this morning, part of me was criticizing me for being "fat" (a dysmorphic crazy thought) and when I asked that part of me why it was as believable as it was when I was 12 years old, my unconscious replied, "In the unconscious, there is no linear time. You are always 12 and always will be." The good news is I am also every other year that I have ever lived... and maybe some more than that, who knows? What I can respect is that parts of me have feelings and it is not my job to constantly report my internal weather. My job is to take constructive and loving actions, to think constructive thoughts, to work my frontal cortex, a minute at a time!
    Smiling as I write this, so grateful,
    bg

10. Renee

Renee Well known member

Bodhigirl,

Can you tell me where I would find these type of yoga moves?

Renee

11. Bodhigirl

Renee, Amy Stein's book, Healing Pelvic Pain got me started. http://www.healpelvicpain.com (Home Page)
    There are many other great resources like http://www.pelvicpain.org.au/information/women/yoga-poses-relax-pelvis/ (Easy Stretches to Relax the Pelvis - Women - Pelvic Pain Foundation)

The key is to breathe, to stay kind and mindful and to acknowledge and release the fear of hurting yourself. So many of us were scared into sentience. Not me. Refused to stop exercising... But made my mesitation into a somatic one.

Best wishes!

12. Bodhigirl

Sorry replied without the reply button. My response is around here, somewhere!

13. Renee

Renee Well known member

Thanks for your reply! I've read Amy Stein's book and have done many of the stretches. Glad to hear that they helped you.