1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Podcast "Like Mind, Like Body" by Curable

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ellen, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

plum, lauraseago, elue and 3 others like this.
  2. lauraseago

lauraseago Peer Supporter

Thanks, Ellen! Glad to see you are enjoying the show. We have even more expert interviews coming up, so be sure to subscribe for updates on new episodes :)

A few of our episodes also include recovery stories, which a lot of people find helpful when they are still looking for their "aha" moment:
    Susan (migraines)
    Dr. John Stracks (nerve pain)
    Aaron (foot, leg, knee, nerve pain)

You might also like our interview with Neuroscientist Dr. Tor Wager... he's one of Curable's advisors, and also the one helping Alan & Dr. Schubiner to conduct their TMS study at CU Boulder. One of my favorite guests so far. His episode is my favorite to share with "non-TMS" folks as an introduction to the research behind the mindbody connection. Enjoy!

cdub, plum, Ellen and 1 other person like this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi lauraseago,

Thanks for your work here, and thanks to Ellen for posting. Great resource for clients, this series of interviews!!!! Highly recommended listening for any sufferers/practitioners.

Andy B

lauraseago likes this.
  4. bagofwater

bagofwater Peer Supporter

There's some good episodes, but I had to turn off the episode with Dr. John Stracks. A Sarno-aware MD that specializes in mind-body work turning to chiropractors, massage therapy and reiki to help his chronic pain was undermining my own, apparently fragile, belief system. ....maybe it ends well, but I don't recommend this episode. It sort of dealt me a setback.

Boston Redsox and cdub like this.
  5. cdub

cdub Peer Supporter

Yes I remember finding that one odd.

I'd love to hear more RSI success stories. :) You
    have a great choice btw. Did you work in radio before?

I'm finding the curable app helpful at relaxing but not out of the woods yet.

6. Trellis

Trellis New Member

I’ve found the Curable app to be somewhat helpful but the best thing I’ve gained from it is the discovery of Katelyn Michaels’ Mindbody Mastery podcast. Something about her voice and the information she presents, plus the occasional meditations, just seems to lift the tension - and it’s free!

HattieNC and bagofwater like this.
  7. bagofwater

Thanks for recommending the Katelyn Michaels podcast. I'm enjoying it. She's more of an aggregator of various TMS approaches than a resource or a technique as Curable tries to be. Curable, understandably, tries to carve out a unique approach to managing chronic pain rather than simply reframing Dr. Sarno's methods as the Katelyn Michaels podcast does. However, as I mentioned above, the Curable podcast doesn't resonate with me so much - they actually seem to avoid referring overtly to Dr. Sarno too often. I really like Katelyn Michaels tone. She seems very knowledgeable of all the various TMS approaches and related literature. She's a bit new to the game, but I'm surprised not to find her mentioned more in the TMSWiki or the forums. Thanks again.

Boston Redsox and HattieNC like this.
  8. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I agree ... found the curable app ok ...hits some bullet points..but like you it does not resonate with me either.

9. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Agreed.... when people are in pain will do anything for it to stop so in a sense don’t blame him, but it does put a dent in your belief system

bagofwater likes this.
  10. bagofwater

Definitely. Whatever works to relieve your pain is the best solution, but this isn't just a TMSer. It's an established mind-body doc embracing things Dr. Sarno and other TMS practitioners specifically call out as placebos at best. Dr. Stracks' words could be taken very seriously by someone just finding their footing with TMS.

Again, I didn't finish the episode because it was messing with my head. Maybe at the end the podcast becomes a cautionary tale of what not to do. Apologies if that's case.

Boston Redsox likes this.