1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Audio Podcast: TMS and parenting (with Dr. David Clarke)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by John Gribbin, Aug 10, 2017.

1. John Gribbin

John Gribbin New Member

Everyone's TMS story is unique, but many begin in childhood while being raised under a "tough love, never good enough" parenting style. Of course, now that I’m a parent, this aspect of TMS gives me pause. I know I'm never going to be a perfect parent, but I want to do everything within my power to reduce the chances of my kids getting the kind of flat-on-the-floor back pain that I had to live through. Ever since learning of my TMS diagnosis, I've struggled with how to minimize their risk.

Fortunately, we at Curable recently had the chance to sit down with someone who has a lot of experience in this area -- David Clarke, MD (President of the PPDA and author of "They Can't Find Anything Wrong!"). My colleague, Laura, interviewed him about these parenting questions, as well as some of his most fascinating TMS/PPD recovery stories over the years. If you're a parent (or someone who suspects their TMS was CAUSED by the way they were parented), then this is for you:

https://www.curablehealth.com/podcast (Like Mind, Like Body Podcast - Curable Health)

I hope it's helpful to anyone who's had these same questions on their mind.

If you don't have time to listen to the full interview, then here's my favorite takeaway...implement the "5-to-1 rule" with your kids. That's five pieces of earned positive reinforcement for every one piece of constructive criticism.

FYI, this is the first full episode of an ongoing podcast interview series called “Like Mind, Like Body”... so stay tuned for more!

If you want to subscribe to the podcast to receive future episodes, then you can do so on iTunes or on Google Play.

All the best,
    John

MindBodyPT likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, John. Thanks for sharing this post on parenting. Dr. Clarke is an excellent source for advice on the subject. Looking forward to his next episodes.

3. John Gribbin

John Gribbin New Member

I hope you enjoy Walt!