1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Post trauma Thumb arthritis following fall, pain percentage organic/TMS? Warning: Long story!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by bluesmuso, Sep 9, 2024.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, I'm late to the party (haven't participated much lately) but what an amazing discussion! I could easily quote a bunch of great stuff but much of it has already been quoted. This, however, dear @Diana-M, hit me right between the eyes - it says a LOT in just a few short sentences:

Diana-M and bluesmuso like this.
  2. bluesmuso

bluesmuso New Member

The "new" symptoms on the Saturday were more a new mental focus on symptoms. The actual physical symptoms were more than likely there before...but my reaction to them changed dramatically. I can remember the hands hurting the day before, they often do when I am doing things that are demanding on the hands. I was running on a deadline with the car brakes, I had to remove the rotors and get them dropped off at the shop for re-machining before they shut so I was more focused on that deadline than the pain. The hands had been sore for a while but had been building to a crescendo which finalised as a panic attack with anxiety and depression...most likely TMS....same thing happened in 2018 following the injury!
    The most unfortunate thing here is that the tugging of the shade cloth in the wind (something I usually wouldn't do because it's very demanding and vigorous on the hands where grip is required) created an "injury/damage event"...perfect for a TMS attack. I do have structural issues in the thumb cmc joints but it is usually in the background...the TMS "amplified" it causing the extreme fear and anxiety...."I have done more damage"...danger!!! These "ghosts" in our lives that scare us...sick of it!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
  3. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

Claire Weekes calls this “second fear” and it really IS the birthplace of TMS. If you give these things attention and concern, they blossom and stay.

bluesmuso likes this.
  4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I suspect you have had moments like the stress of getting your car in order but don’t recognize them because they have been your norm. This video (and many others he has made) have so many valuable inspires like that.
    Consider that your pre-conceived notion about damaged thumbs might not actually be what’s going on.
    I had imaging showing massive arthritis and inflammation before I knew what TMS was. I mentally chose to believe that was very temporary and it left, never returned. The doctors were stumped!

JanAtheCPA, Diana-M and bluesmuso like this.
  5. bluesmuso

bluesmuso New Member

Unfortunately the thumb CMC joints have organic/symptomatic damage from the original fall, it is my mental perception of the situation I am trying to rectify. Before the TMS anxiety attack they were always there but I didn't pay that much attention to them. The stability of the injury (never got better but never got worse) created a comfortable degree of complacency...it seemed that no matter what I did or didn't do they wouldn't get worse...just stay the same. That is why I am saying I want to "get back to where I was"...I functioned back then...I don't now!

One thing which is interesting is that I am not taking anti-inflammatories, and when I do it makes very little difference...which sounds a lot like TMS...my back pain was like that!
    It seems to be a confusing mix for me!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
  6. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

How you got there is your nervous system got so jacked up, you are getting scared easily. Do you meditate? That’s the quickest way to calm yourself back down and you’ll stop focusing on this. It’s like any health anxiety. You just picked this to focus on. Read what you just wrote. All of this has been NO BIG DEAL for years. Why is it now? Only because you are nervous. You are creating the problem. There isn’t one.

bluesmuso likes this.
  7. bluesmuso

bluesmuso New Member

Good point about the nervous system jacked up. But I also think that if I hadn't tugged and stretched the shade cloth on those occasions I would have had less problems. It's so annoying when it hurts days after the activity rather than during. If it hurt during the aggravating activity you'd stop doing it!

Had a good positive day yesterday, registered my motorbike and went for a ride. Also decided to keep my beloved V8 SS car which I had been stressing about due to it's high mileage and lower resale value. Watched the football last night and enjoyed it.

Woke up this morning not so good...feeling more negative again and you guessed it...hands are hurting. I did do a lot yesterday.

I look forward to the next positive day. Thanks so much for listening you people xx

Last edited: Sep 13, 2024
  8. bluesmuso

bluesmuso New Member

I'm feeing really down. Got recent hand x-ray results back...advanced degenerative change both 1st CMC thumb joints. The remainder of the wrist joint is relatively preserved. Doctor has offered a cortisone shot!