1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Recurrence of Hip Pain post-Surgery

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Mr Hip Guy, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

So much of what you have written above is very relatable to what I went through.

But this quote in particular:

Reminds me of how I discovered some study of cadavers where a high, like really high, percentage of them had torn labrums - yet almost none of them had had hip pain prior in their lives according the records. As Sarno said, torn labrum is just a "normal abnormality." Good luck! You can get through this.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. Mr Hip Guy

Interesting note - After writing the above, my hip has started to try to get some attention. It's the same telltale pain I had before, like a burning/crawling sensation deep down in the hip joint. I now recognize this as the typical TMS pain, but it sure is interesting how it's up to its old tricks again.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

As a rabid baseball fan I feel the same way about arm ligaments and the 'Tommy John' Surgery that has become a right of passage for modern pitchers. I have never seen it happen EXCEPT when the player is under enormous pressure to win/suceed. watching Shohei Ohtani this year throw a 95 mph pitch...Hit two home runs...and be shut down for a torn (whatever) ligament...Makes no sense

I bet EVERY rec player in my league has torn stuff... but we aren't making millions of dollars and being MRI'd every weekend...thank God!

I have to be careful/mindful when I discuss anything physical. SO many times I discuss some weird symptom and then get it within a few days.

Mr Hip Guy likes this.
  4. Enrico100000

Enrico100000 New Member

My last post was in September and realized I'm long overdue for an update. Long story short, my pain is 100% gone. To recap my earlier posts, in August 2023, a renowned hip surgeon told me I had FIA (hip impingement) from a "significant" CAM deformity, torn labrum, cysts, and a whole bunch of other scary terms I've forgotten. Recommendation: FIA surgery (shaving the hip bone and labral repair) as well as the statement that this would only get worse. After this, I really decided to apply the TMS principles that have cured me of two past chronic pain issues. It was a very rocky ride over 1-2 months with significant flares and all that. This was a more difficult battle than other TMS issues I've had in my life because I never before have had such a dark diagnosis and prognosis. It really took me a few weeks just get myself to remain calm through all flares and I had several moments of panic, which set me back.

For me, I found that keeping a very detailed evidence journal helped immensely and showed the significant pain movement and fluctuations. Also helpful was learning about the crazy high prevalence of FAI (25-40% of the population) and labral tears (something like found in 95% of all cadavers). There were setbacks but gradually I was able to get my mind to indifference. Gradual resumption of activity was also key and always has been for me, and there were a couple difficult setbacks from this. In October, I had two pain-free weeks and then on a vacation the pain came roaring back (I think it's usually the opposite that happens). Once this happened, I knew I had it beat, as there was no reason for the resumption of pain on my vacation. After my vacation, the pain left and has been gone since beginning November.

I'm back to my full intense yoga practice and running distances and hiking and skiing as much as possible. What an incredible life hack this knowledge is. I wish the best to others on here and hope my story helps. Thanks to this board for the support and knowledge.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Awesome, @Enrico100000 - this qualifies as a Success Story!
    SO interesting, this. I can totally relate, because I have travel anxiety and I eventually came to realize how expectations are often very high when it comes to travel and vacations. And as we should all always remember: Expectations --> Judgement --> Symptoms.

Anyway, this is EXCELLENT news and THANK YOU for the update!

danceadanceadancea

6. Mr Hip Guy

What a fantastic result. Unlike me, you managed to avoid the surgery in order to learn the "hard lesson" (I don't regret my surgery because it forced me to learn that hard lesson).

On the vacation, Sarno himself said that he often experienced TMS symptoms while on vacation so that is actually a common trigger (you feel guilty for taking vacation, it may not be the vacation YOU wanted, etc). I've had this happen myself.

Anyway very happy to hear you've had such a nice outcome.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. Mr Hip Guy

I'm back for a few more comments.

It seems after checking this thread earlier today, the first time in months mind you, guess what has been bothering me?

My hip!

All the same symptoms, all the same pain areas, all the same sensation of pain (a burning, crawling, achey pain).

Now I know there is no need to panic, I expect to handle this just like I've handled all the previous relapses and flare ups. Just wanted to post my experience so we can all share in the misery and weirdness that is TMS.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. JanAtheCPA

:hilarious:

Mr Hip Guy likes this.
  9. Mr Hip Guy

That post was on Thursday and by Friday morning, it was all gone. Whew!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  10. JanAtheCPA

This kind of thing has become SOP for me. Even with RA . Most of my symptoms don't feel like the RA (GI and dizziness are my typical symptoms) but the other day I woke up with obvious swelling, and scary inflammatory pain in one hand, unable to bend my fingers at all. I panicked briefly (I was also concerned about getting one of my rings off, but I managed that) then I calmed myself down with my self-talk. I applied some Diclofenac and sat with it for the required amount of time before taking a shower - during which I started to contemplate what was going on the previous day that might be bothering my TMS brain. Sometimes I don't even need to get out the pen and paper - the "thing" will suddenly present itself (usually laughably minor) and I'll just process whatever negativity there was from a rational point of view - and that's all it takes. That's what happened this time - it was related to a book I'm reading that seemed like it was too long and possibly overwritten, and I was feeling (self-imposed) pressure to read every word and absorb it all. LOL. That must have been "it" because the flare was almost gone by evening, I applied the salve again before bed, and my hand was fine in the morning.

You NEVER know what our brains will interpret as worthy of stress symptoms. They really are extremely primitive and not very capable of understanding modern stressors.

Mr Hip Guy likes this.
  11. Mr Hip Guy

Yes, exactly - you're right, it doesn't have to be this big epic capital T trauma event - sometimes it is minor and only major because we've made a mtn out of a mole hill.

JanAtheCPA likes this.