1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Official Thread Section 2.3 Working Toward Outcome Independence

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Jun 2, 2014.

1. whirlingdervish

whirlingdervish New Member

Thanks David. The back pain seems to be gone now and the Raynaud's is still lingering, but I'm just not letting the pain or fear of pain be an issue, and focusing on the original aim of doing the activity.

I did a ballet class today and I decided I would do it all as well as possible no matter how bad the pain in my feet was. I expected there would be some pain and I'd have to ignore it. However there wasn't any pain. But I barely noticed that there wasn't any because I was so busy doing the class. It was incredibly hard as I hadn't danced at that level for three years, and I felt a huge amount of fear that I wasn't good enough to be there, which I'd never experienced before during a ballet class. I think it was probably this fear which the foot pain had distracted me from for so long, always providing an excuse to 'take it easy'. (Among other many other repressed emotions I'm sure).

It felt like a breakthrough, to be so engrossed in the activity that I had no interest in monitoring the pain or lack of it. Ballet's easy to do this with though, because you have so much else to think about. Walking down the street or cycling or other low-key activities seem much harder.