1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 6 Severe anxiety since I started the program

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by ttdsprtra, Jun 30, 2021.

1. ttdsprtra

ttdsprtra New Member

I have CFS-type symptoms (extreme fatigue, insomnia, flu-like symptoms, etc.) and hand / wrist pain, and since I've started the program I have felt my symptoms get better and have had a few breakthroughs identifying past traumas and repressed emotions. However, I have also been experiencing severe anxiety, which is new and unfamiliar for me. I have a constant knot in my stomach which varies from uncomfortable to rather painful an nauseating. The day 6 journaling exercise triggered a flare-up in the knot, and while doing the body scan exercise, I wasn't able to let my stomach relax. I frequently try to ask the anxiety and the knot what emotion it is protecting me from, but it's pretty resistant to my attempts.

Has anyone else experience something similar and is this normal? Should I just accept the knot and not keep trying to get to the underlying emotion? Any tips on how to deal with this would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  2. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Sometimes the process releases a lot of anxiety. Take a break and get back to it later. Shift your thinking in day to day life and don't do TMS journaling all the time. Find a balance.

ttdsprtra likes this.