1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Derek S. Should I vent or reign in anger?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I have had chronic back pain for the past year. I have zeroed in to 2 major causes ... Looking after my 94-year old mother (walk her to the toilet day and night), and dealing with an elder sister and brother who have totally decided to put as many spikes in the wheel as they can, while being being blissfully unaware of the damage done.
    For the past two days, I have begun to vent out and get angry.

Now, before this the pain had got much better.

So the question ... should I let it vent, or should I keep it cool and merely try to reign in my anger, realizing what the problem is.

Thanks for any answers.

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question.

It sounds like you are dealing with a great number of everyday stressors and emotional triggers. Your insight into the cause of your pain is valuable but your self care is going to be crucial during this difficult time.

Regarding your question about venting or keeping cool, I think that you can actually do both. Venting your anger onto other people tends to cause more tension and duress. Instead of allowing these emotions to become destructive, work on making them productive in a contained way.

Here is a link to a previous question in which I address how to practice feeling emotions like anger and sadness in a safe, private, and productive way. Processing emotions like is is a skill and it takes practice. If it feels awkward or forced at first, keep working on it and it will become more intuitive to you. If you are feeling stuck, work with a TMS therapist to help to guide you through the process.

Good luck and I wish you all the best!

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

breakfree likes this.