1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Signing up Hello

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by sarah0924, Jun 13, 2020.

1. sarah0924

sarah0924 New Member

Hello Wiki forum,
    I am a 54 yo female and have had TMS for what seems like forever. I was told I had fibromyalgia in my early 30s, and have been struggling w various somatization of my stress over the years. Compounding this, I work in a very high-stress field, so my nervous system seems to be "burned out" after 20+ yrs.
    Last year I was severely depressed and found this wiki which led me to a therapist who works with this type of problem. I also after much reading on TMS from several experts felt like something was "blocking" me from allowing myself to get better.
    So, I started therapy a little over a year ago & have focused on working through what is holding me back from healing and "rewiring" my thoughts and other techniques which have helped immensely. I actually got well enough to start job hunting and found employment (I was out of the workforce for over a year & not sure I could ever go back).
    Other things I am working on are not repressing my feelings, not seeing myself as "invisible" and moving into the discomfort of anxiety. I also did a lot of work around "maitre" (self-love) as I am always finding fault w myself. Everything became a "moral" right or wrong decision; & discovered the concept of "healthy boundaries," realizing that I didn't have them.
    Things have been worse during Covid lockdown. I continue to work (thankful for that), but I feel like my anxiety was becoming severe again. I need support and help from other people who understand what is is to "somatize" stress and feelings.
    Being in my age group, I am facing the "last third" so to speak of my life. There is a lot to "unpack" there.
    Anyway, I am glad to be here.
    :)
    Sarah

2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sarah, Welcome.

This is a really good group of people. Read through some posts and success stories. I think you'll find many people that have gone through depression and all variety of symptoms. It sounds to me like you're doing the great awakening already.

Nicole Ferber Sachs has some great YouTube videos you might want to watch. And, Steven Ozanich's book "The Great Pain Deception" is top notch in my estimation.

And, of course, it all was born with Dr. John Sarno.

Members of this group give beautiful advice, too.

Peace,
    Marcia

sarah0924 likes this.
  3. Northwood

Northwood Well known member

Welcome to the Final Third club (I'm 61)! Glad you're checking out this forum. I second Marcia's recommendation of Steve O's book. And Sarno's books, of course. I've started meditating recently, which is helping me to see my thinking, to get me to step outside of the incessant chatter and observe it. I'm early in my practice, but it's having a subtle effect that I trust will help me work through my TMS symptoms. Finally, I'm nearly finished reading Byron Kaitie's Loving What Is. A lot of what she says ties into what I'm learning here on the forum; she teaches a simple technique of inquiry that gets you to really notice your thoughts and how turning any of them into a belief can run interference with your peace of mind and acceptance of the world as it is (which is the only way it can be, covid and all). And, yes, "beautiful advice" from so many members...best wishes to you.

sarah0924 likes this.
  4. sarah0924

sarah0924 New Member

Thanks Marcia,
    I appreciate hearing from you. I will check out some of the resources you mentioned.
    One thing I know is that I have a TON of trouble putting my needs first.
    It is definitely a journey, and not for the faint of heart.

5. sarah0924

sarah0924 New Member

Thank you for the welcome :)
    Katie's book would be a new one for me, I will definitely check it out. I know a lot of what ramps up my physical symptoms is "brain patterns."