1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Somatic Tracking for Fatigue, Sleep Issues, and Food Sensitivities

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by marcato15, Sep 8, 2021.

1. marcato15

marcato15 Newcomer

Done a lot of reading, listening and talking about TMS both from Sarno, Schubiner and Gordon's books and from the Curable groups program. I've found the most success for the Chronic Fatigue and various other issues that started 5 years ago. However, my biggest issues still remain: Chronic Fatigue, Waking up every day exhausted, and food sensitivities. I've been tested for food allergies and any physical ailments and everything came back negative. The symptoms seem to follow standard TMS behavior. But whenever I try to use something like Somatic Tracking for Fatigue it doesn't seem to work as Fatigue is so "General" I struggle to "focus" on it. And while I know my body can tolerate the foods and I tell myself that when I eat them, I still get triggered by a whole laundry list of foods, even though while I'm eating it I'm convinced that its perfectly healthy for me to eat. Anyone had experience with these symptoms and have any suggestions about what to try?

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I have also suffered from fatigue, it is waining a bit right now, it is merely a symptom - I feel it’s double edged: a bi product of the amount of energy physical and mental tension takes, but also an emotional symptom: its hard to deal with stuff if you are just too tired to deal!
    So I tend to use both somatic and emotional tracking during times I am less tired. It takes me a lot of mental energy to stay on track but I tell myself that I am focusing and that its safe. Everything is fine and safe in the moment. It has taken months but it’s helping. If I become frustrated over symptoms, not focusing etc. I journal about it. I journal about that anger and being hard on myself. Slowly, very slowly in my case symptoms ate fading. Its not linear - and I don’t challenge myself until desires come naturally. I know my fear of doing that activity ( substitute food item) has begun to subside and I just do it - its like some things just sop feeling like they are a huge trigger. Be gentle to yourself, patience and don’t worry. Do you have foods you can eat joyfully? Can you eat a meal without it triggering you? Focus only on the positive during the meal? When I am at my most anxious my food desires are minimal and I have severe sitting anxiety. It’s taken me a year to sit comfortably for a few meals a week focusing on being in the moment and not trying to escape the meal or end it quickly. I now desire to eat almost all the food in my normal diet. Going out to eat is still difficult, the next day I’m usually in a lot of pain but it is getting easier. Maybe try a form of Somatic Tracking called pendulation and do this during a meal. Focus on the stressful thing for a bit, ten on an enjoyable part of the activity. Then back and forth reminding yourself you are safe in both thought situations. On Youtube, Les Aria has a wonderful Pendulation activity that I am using in a variety of situations.

3. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

In plain English what is somatic tracking please. I've read most of the book. I just don't get it. . Thank you.

4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Somatic Tracking is watching symptoms or emotions ( you can also emotionally track) in your internal self. You become a casual observer with a light and curious attention to the symptoms. This is harder when you are in the throws of more extreme symptoms. To help your curiosity and expand your mental focus you track the symptom: imagine if it has a color, or perhaps a shape: Mentally outline it. What is the sensation: can you attribute it to feeling hot or cold? Burning or stabbing, numb or dull...just lightly think about those sensations and now see if they begin to move or change as you keep a light attention to them without judgement. Its sort of a form of meditation but if you've meditated you’ll notice it is a little more cerebral. Similarly if your attention gets pulled away from symptoms you simply bring it back when you notice your mind wandering. You can add mental affirmations: “ this is safe, I am safe right now - this is just a sensation (or emotion) and can’t hurt me” The goal is to train your brain into realizing what is safe. A great prompt to start your sessions is to ask yourself “what am I feeling. There are two or three sessions presented on youtube so that you can practice with guidance. Here’s one I like.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Cap'n Spanky and Saffron like this.