1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Still Exasperated, Trying Not To Be . . . and Getting Nowhere

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by billiewells, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Hi Billiewells, how are you getting on? Thought I would up date you on my latest experience with a SE therapist. I made the journey ok (1 and 1/2 hours by car) thank goodness my husband was driving! Our session took 2 and 1/2 hours! She told me on taking my history etc that she used several modalities in her line of treatment and on hearing what I had to say decided that on getting me on the couch she would start with cranial/sacral work, just "holding" and my body would respond by gently "doing what it felt was necessary to correct itself. Also this form of treatment would assist in regulating the Autonomic Nervous System. I hastily told her I did not want any body work to which she replied that she would not be doing anything just "holding my sacrum" and encouraging my body to start healing itself.
    This was followed by 3 days of increasing painful symptoms and I felt on walking that my gait had been altered (I am now on my 4th day) I rang her on the 1st day and she told me that this is normal. Once again I told her I did not want bodywork as in the past,before I found TMS bodywork, always "stressed" my body and it responded by raising my inflammatory marker sky high (this was confirmed by Dr Schubiner). So I am now at a cross road. She is contacting me again on Sunday to see how I am and I will tell her that if she cannot do SE with me then to forget it. I am disappointed as I had read such positive results from members who had tried SE. In my panic I rang my TMS therapist who reassured me I would be OK.
    I would also be interested to hear any other members point of view on this.
    Hope you are feeling more optimistic Billiewells. Have you found anyone to help you yet?

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

There is NO way you could have been physically damaged by what the therapist did.

3. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

I know the SE therapist has not damaged me in any way however, I feel that Cranial/sacral work was obviously the wrong treatment for me. If I have chronic tension (which I do have) how can C/S work help me? Surely nothing physical can as the body will resume its tense state. I have always reacted badly to bodywork in the past. As explained to me by Dr Schubiner my brain looks on any bodywork as "trauma" thus causing it to get stressed and up shoots my ESR. This is all down to me suffering a trauma when I was a very small child, as I was dropped down the stairs when a baby. Also Dr Sarno does state that any physical bodywork I.e. Adjustments by chiropractors is focussing on the physical symptoms and is therefore keeping the brain happy. Please correct me if I am wrong here I am still learning.

4. Tennis Tom

You are right about Dr. Sarno saying not to do physical procedures to fix a mind thing--BUT, it's your strong reaction to a benign procedure by a practitioner who understands your condition and is trying to help by doing what she feels is the best for you. I had a very wonderful experience once in a cranial-sacral session because I trusted the practitioner who was very intuitive, putting me into a relaxed state whereI could release my emotions. C/S work is one of the most benign touching procedures next to Reiki where they don't touch you at all and just wave their hands around. Dr. Sarno also says we must DECONDITION ourselves by doing activities to regain confidence that the body is stronger then we think.

When did you make the association to your present condition and being dropped down the stairs? From your past posts it appears you were leading an active physical life up to recently. To me your child-hood trauma would have presented symptoms from the time you got it rather then decades later. I remember being hit on the head by a pipe when about three or four--that could explain a lot now that I think abut it:D.

5. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Hi again, my mother told me years ago that she had fallen down the stairs no dropped me when I was 6months old. Yes you are right I have always been a very physically active person, back packing long distance footpaths, hiking in Scotland , Lake District and anywhere where we wer close to nature. Also I have been cycling in many European countries. I have always been fit and healthy but like all of us I possess the typical TMS personality traits. The trauma i sustained 2 1/2 years ago was from an incorrect adjustment by a chiropractor and despite being corrected by my own chiropractor started the pain cycle off and now my anxiety, fear and ongoing stress are keeping it all alive. Perhaps any treatment for me now is traumatic, I am expecting it all to go wrong. I just don't know. The childhood trauma was linked to my high ESR levels by Dr Schubiner when I asked his advice on why did my ESR level rise so significantly every time I had a series of massage or any other bodywork and that was his opinion. I must add that I be as active as I can be which is about walking two miles in the morning and one and half pm. This besides my general housework is all I can manage.

6. Tennis Tom

As a tennis player and NOT a white-coat, I seriously doubt your being bounced on your head as a baby, suddenly rears it's, or your head, at this late date--what's it been doing all these years--hybernating? I've heard a lot of TMS stories about bad adjustments by chiroquackters too and I don't believe they can do any damage by the little twists they do and I've had my fair share of chiroquacktic along with almost 100 Rolfing sessions too, if we're talking about deep-tissue work which has left bruising on occasion. If chiro did as many bad adjustments as heard about they would be out of business long ago due to malpractice.

I suggest you quit talking and thinking in the physical realm and shift your thoughts to the psychological/emotional as Dr. Sarno says to do. You need to brain-wash yourself with TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN and lose the medical/industrial/structural mumbo-jumbo. Keep reading and re-reading the TMS literature. If you don't know what the emotional issues are that are the cause of TMS pain then look at the RAHE-HOLMES list of stressful events that you've experienced.

billiewells likes this.
  7. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Heal thyself meditation link:

Abbo you're not "a lost cause". TMS healing is all about trial and error. Healing is not linear either, we all have setbacks which can feel very discouraging. Keep going, you will get there.

Don't over analyse it either, try to go with the flow, and practise feeling gratitude in your day for all the little joys we often take for granted. The more you do this the more you calm your nervous system down, and that's when healing happens.

8. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Thank you Colly, I appreciate your understanding, I will listen to this meditation now and read over and over your words of encouragement.

9. billiewells

billiewells Peer Supporter

sorry to hear about your struggles ... have you considered that focusing on the physical rather than the emotional, thhat you physical symptoms are taking control again? I had similar flare ups every time I consulted a chiropractor. osteopath or similar. Not sure what SE stands for?

10. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

SE is Somatic Experienc. It is a therapy that focuses on the "felt sense". When I did it via Skype it was totally unsatisfactory for me as the therapist gave me exercises called "Pendulation" to do during the day. I found these exercises increased my painful symptoms and I just could not continue with them on my own. Yes like you I have always reacted strongly to any "bodywork", must be hypersensitive. I even reacted to cranial/sacral work which is considered very gentle even for babies! Therapist rang me yesterday and told me my strong reactions showed the treatment was successful, it proved my body was trying to correct itself. All these theories leave me more confused than ever!
    Have you seen the video clip Colly posted above? She had a similar foot problem to you with years of considerable pain. She healed herself and would be a true inspiration for you. Read her Success Story it will give you lots of hope.
    Warm wishes to you.