1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Struggling with TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Matam85, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Matam85

Matam85 New Member

Hi everyone ,

I have read Dr John Sarno’s book Healing Backpain and found it very helpful. I have noticed that whenever I do core strengthening exercises I start to doubt TMS.

I know Dr Sarno wants us to think psychologically and not physically , but is there room to do core exercises for general spine health ? It just seems that I shouldn’t be throwing the baby out with the bath water. I sometimes experience sciatica and I believe it to be TMS caused. To put it bluntly , if it is TMS, why even do any kind of physical exercise, especially exercises that strengthen muscles in the buttocks , legs, hips, etc.

I am just trying to understand and resolve some of the barriers that I have to fully believing in TMS

thank you for your help

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @Matam85 ,

It's great to exercise for overall health and fitness but not for the purpose of "treating" or "fixing" a problem. It all comes down to the intent and mindset behind the activity. The term "spine health" sounds like something a chiropractor would say so get rid of that type of verbiage that just reinforces the messages of fear.

Matam85 likes this.
  3. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

miffybunny nailed the response, but I will add a bit of my experience in this area. I do a lot of core/strength work to support my physical activity of choice (trail running & mtn biking) and for a long time I fell into that trap of "muscle imbalances" or "weaknesses" that supposedly lead to pain and I finally came around to the fact that was nonsensical BS. I mean how strong does your hamstring need to be in order to sit in a car for 2-3 hour road trips? It's crazy the things that we accept as fact with TMS.

However I still enjoy doing my core strength and overall strength work but I view it in the mindset of it improving my performance in running/biking, NOT as a pain treatment.

4. Matam85

Matam85 New Member

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your help and response.

5. Matam85

Matam85 New Member

Thank you for your response. I will do my best to approach the core exercises from that mindset as I do weight training and I believe these core exercises will helps in that and with general health.