1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Successfully decreasing pain meds and being kind to self!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Barb M., Feb 7, 2015.

1. Barb M.

Barb M. Peer Supporter

I posted earlier I was going to try to stop taking Tylenol, which I have taken around the clock for 8-9 years since my cervical fusion that didn't go well. I knew I was probably more psychologically attached to it than anything, but still scary to go off. I have made it all week without and I think it's been okay. I don't think pain is any worse.

I started the SEP program on Sunday and have not yet journaled. Started my evidence sheet and watching lots of success stories. Still have questions about whether or not I have purely TMS, but am giving myself permission to not know right now and that's okay. I always want to know everything, so getting used to uncertainty is part of my healing journey.

Most importantly, I am being very kind and gentle with myself. (or catching myself more quickly when I'm beating myself up!)

Anne Walker and Ellen like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Barb. You're off to a very good start by beginning the SEP. I focused mainly on journaling and learned that
    I had been repressing emotions that went back to my childhood. My parents worked hard but those were the 1930s
    Great Depression years and money was always scarce. That led to them divorcing when I was seven and I didn't
    realize it until journaling how that affected me. Long story short, I learned to forgive them and that healed my back pain.

I'm glad you stopped taking Tylenol. Medication just masks the pain. The cause is TMS.

Success stories are great inspiration. Soon you'll be posting your own. It will take believing 100 percent in TMS
    causing your pain. That took me a while, but it finally came.

Keep being kind and gentle with yourself, and find ways to enjoy each day.

Barb M. likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Barb,
    I keep seeing how this practice to be gentle with yourself is front and center for you. It is what has value for you. They say that what you value in yourself grows. I am happy for you.
    Andy B.