1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The Future of Mindbody Medicine

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Benjiro, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Benjiro

Benjiro Peer Supporter

I am taken aback how small this forum is given how many people in the US and around the world with internet access are suffering from completely curable pains, dysfunction, and illnesses. If the economy were operating on perfect knowledge, there should be at least a few million who logged in here every day.

How do you envision the future of mindbody medicine? Will the mainstream ever wise up to the human condition? I’m afraid there isn’t enough money in empowering people to heal themselves. Even though there would be a huge rise in demand for therapists trained in mindbody medicine, the market from a $ standpoint would never be able to keep up with the surgeries, pills, and medical salaries that are now routine practice.

I’m curious what you guys think because when I joined this forum a few years ago, I expected mindbody medicine to exponentially grow in the following years. And as of yet, that does not seem to be happening nor inevitable in the near future.

2. Velvet_Hidden

Velvet_Hidden Peer Supporter

You hit it on the nail...

Most medical professionals see the surgeries/pills as more lucrative.... Self healing means no dividends for them....

It's quite clear to me that a lot of the info on mind-body conditions are being suppressed by most of the medical establishment and those who support the medical establishments...

On the other hand many are still programmed to believe the doctors word as GOD when being diagnosed (this used to be me)

In my experience many I've shared info on Dr. Sarno with the exception of one I know, just find it hard to believe their mind could be possibly causing the pain.

Many are still mentally programmed to believe pain is only a solely physical manifestation. (this used to be me)

I believe for more people to become aware of sites like this, it's gonna take many more of us sharing our experiences transcending TMS via social media

I never would have found out about Dr. Sarno or his literature had I not come across a guy on youtube sharing a playlist about his experience reading Dr. Sarno's literature...

Seeing that and seeing the 20/20 clip really motivated me to get the "Healing Back Pain Book" & DVD......

Once I was comfortable in sharing I shared my experience on youtube as well...

IMO I had better luck convincing people online that psychosomatic pain is real versus in person... IDK lol

I'm just happy to see it was able to help someone else even if it was only one person....

In my experience I believe the social media component will be key to informing others and seeing more and more being aware

JanAtheCPA and Baseball65 like this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Awareness does expand , but s l o w l y.

Remember, Sarno explained how all of the ulcers went away when people began to generally agree they had something to do with stress. I have noticed a similar trend with Back Pain.... at least the folks in my small world don't seem to have it as much.

The new bugaboo is RSI.... and then people will slowly see that for what it is and the list will keep expanding

Velvet_hidden was spot on about the money thing. We live in a push button/email/want it now world and most people would rather pay money for a result than go and get it themselves.

and even in the world of psycho-somatic medicine I see more and more people hiring themselves out as healers and TMS therapists and such... our culture has gotten so fearful,always wanting someone else to have our experience for us.

I have always loved Jesus. He spoke out against ecclesiastical authority and vicarious relationships with G-d.... so they built up an ecclesiastical army to act vicariously between you and G-d IN Jesus' NAME (LOLOLOL). I think about that every time I see a 'healer for money'..... how is someone else gonna know about your rage,shame,embarrassments and darkest laundry?

Just like Jesus told us we could each become a son or daughter of G-d, Sarno taught us that we didn't need anybody or thing to be free of pain, illness and .... we could actually be FREE!

I've got 21 years of Freedom this spring... I spent a couple hundred bucks on books (Gave away lots of them)... I am going to play baseball this morning and I am a 54 year old construction worker.... When I was 32 and crippled I would have given everything I owned to be able to say that.... and all it cost was 12 bucks for a book.

No F-ing way! I have to be more complicated than that? and besides, MY pain is REAL

....(sighs).... so Mindbody medicine is coming along too... Thousand years or two from being accepted?

Enjoy the blessing and say a prayer of thanks to God for Dr. Sarno. You got to be a TMS apostle.

peace

JanAtheCPA, Velvet_Hidden and Hayley like this.
  4. Velvet_Hidden

Velvet_Hidden Peer Supporter

[​IMG]

I agree with all your points 100%

Your story of moving past TMS is motivating!

JanAtheCPA and Baseball65 like this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Part of the solution is this organization linked below, which reaches out to professionals in the field. Also, Dr. Schubiner and Alan Gordon and others have been involved in studies which "prove" the efficacy of a "TMS type approach" to chronic pain and other symptoms.

So, there are structures in place to slowly grow this approach.

When the medical community finally embraces this it will probably be like a light switch---all changing to embrace this at once, like "of course..." Then it will become "self-obvious." Until that time, we can be thankful that we know.

https://walrus-capybera-krkg.squarespace.com/ (Psychophysiologic Disorders Association)

6. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

Me too, second the motion on that!

7. fewjoram

fewjoram Peer Supporter

So sad but true. :(