1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Steven Ozanich TMS and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Steve Ozanich, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

"Field of Dreams" is a wonderful, inspirational movie on making a dream come true through
    hard work and dedication. But a little fantasy helped.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

RE: AMBIVALENCE From the 1999 movie "GIRL INTERUTPED"

Susanna: I'm ambivalent. In fact that's my new favorite word.
    Dr. Wick: Do you know what that means, ambivalence?
    Susanna: I don't care.
    Dr. Wick: If it's your favorite word, I would've thought you would...
    Susanna: It *means* I don't care. That's what it means.
    Dr. Wick: On the contrary, Susanna. Ambivalence suggests strong feelings... in opposition. The prefix, as in "ambidextrous," means "both." The rest of it, in Latin, means "vigor." The word suggests that you are torn... between two opposing courses of action.
    Susanna: Will I stay or will I go?
    Dr. Wick: Am I sane... or, am I crazy?
    Susanna: Those aren't courses of action.
    Dr. Wick: They can be, dear - for some.
    Susanna: Well, then - it's the wrong word.
    Dr. Wick: No. I think it's perfect.

3. Tennis Tom

Here's a clip with the quote + some extra:
    tt/lsmft

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I think ambivalence can cause anxiety and stress if one sits on the fence and
    is not able to make up their mind about something.

It may even be better to make a mistake than to stay undecided about something or someone.
    The mistake may soon become evident and maybe corrected.

A friend long ago asked me to go with him to downtown Chicago men's shoe stores so
    he could buy a new pair of penny loafers. He looked at them in half a dozen stores but
    didn't buy a pair. The thing is, all penny loafers look and are alike.

He's the same young man who was from an upscale family in Detroit and after
    we watched the old movie, "The Grapes of Wrath" about poor people during the
    1930s Depression, I asked him what he thought about it. He replied,
    "Why didn't they just go out and get a job?"

You know, of course, there were no jobs for millions of people.
    He was from a family that was not touched by poverty so he didn't have a clue.

He was a school teacher when I new him and he later became a lawyer.
    He wasn't prepared for either occupation.

donavanf likes this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Here's a link to Hulu where it seems through the magic of the inter-webs, you can watch the whole movie, (there is commercial at the start). There's some great writing and the dialogue is very TMS'y. http://www.hulu.com/watch/226340

6. Tennis Tom

[​IMG]
    Contact the Filmmakers on IMDbPro »
    MOVIEmeter
    SEE RANK
    Up 12,748 this week
    View rank on IMDbPro »
    People Will Talk (1951)
    110 min - Comedy | Drama | Romance - 29 August 1951 (USA)
    Your rating:
    3,247 users
    Reviews: 73 user | 17 critic
    Dr. Noah Praetorius falls in love with Debra, a student who finds out that she is pregnant by her old boyfriend.
    Director:
    Joseph L. Mankiewicz
    Writers:
    Joseph L. Mankiewicz (written for the screen by), Curt Goetz (play)
    Stars:
    Cary Grant, Jeanne Crain, Finlay Currie | See full cast and crew »
    Watch Trailer
    here .

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  7. 3rdCoast

3rdCoast Peer Supporter

There's more to this scene from the show Louie but I could only find this promo clip. A classic doctor office visit:

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Good funny clip. He's a lot like my doctor. No help at all except pills.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I just saw SAVING MR. BANKS, the new Walt Disney movie about how the children's classic novel
    MARY POPPINS became the movie of that name. Emma Thompson plays P.L. Travers, author of the book,
    who strongly resists the efforts of Disney (played by Tom Hanks) to make it into a movie musical.

Travers is a complex character and we gradually learn through flashbacks to her girlhood why she is a strong candidate
    for TMS. She loved her father but he was a drunkard and undependable breadwinner, and her mother was suicidal. We learn
    near the end of the film how Travers suffered lifelong anger and repressed emotions regarding parental stresses, feelings of low self-esteem,
    and financial insecurity. Disney talks to her about it all suggests she can feel happier if she forgives, her parents and herself.

YouTube has many videos about the film and scenes from the film, but not the scene between her and Disney that to me is
    the most important and explains her TMS.

Emma Thompson is wonderful as Travers, and tells about her role in this video clip:

JEgol71 likes this.
  10. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Great post, Walt, thanks for sharing. The more we can add to our TMS in Pop Culture database, the better.

11. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

From this week's episode of House of Lies on Showtime, entitled "The Next Olive Branch Goes Straight Up Your Ass"

Clyde: Yeah, well, you know that I'm allergic.

Father: No, as a matter of fact, I didn't know that. Because you haven't let me see you over the past two years.

Clyde: Well, I was also allergic two years ago, dad. How about that?

Father: Look, she's a service cat, all right. She gives me a lot of comfort service...

Clyde: (Sneezes) (Meowing) (Groans)

Father: You know, that stuff is all in the mind. Have you read Sarno?

Clyde: That's about back pain, dad.

Father: Also...all in the mind.

12. Forest

13. Forest

I've updated the wiki page with all of the examples in this list. If anyone else has any more, please share them!

Also, if people want to see the video that Steve mentioned two posts back, here's the clip.

As this is nonprofit and educational and shouldn't negatively affect sales of the show, I consider this tiny clip to covered under the fair use doctrine.

14. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm watching the HBO series In Treatment (now available on Amazon Prime), and in Episode 38: Sophie-Week Eight, the therapist is talking to his 16 year old client about her recent symptoms of muscle spasms and skin rash. He explains to her that due to stress her mind has created these symptoms, and assures her there is no disease. He advises that when the spasms occur she should say to herself "I'm doing this to myself and I can make it stop."

Ann s is, Forest and Tennis Tom like this.
  15. phizzy56

phizzy56 New Member

Any fans of The Sopranos? The character "Big Pussy" suffered from constant back pain and spasms during his time on the show. Eventually he had surgery, only to proclaim angrily a few weeks later that his back "don't feel one iota different". Eventually we learn that he was arrested for drugs and had to wear a wiretap and turn informant against his former crew in order to avoid a life sentence, which we can assume was a major factor in his TMS.

Ann s is, BruceMC and IrishSceptic like this.
  16. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Got a YouTube video of that particular episode to post here, phizzy?

17. phizzy56

phizzy56 New Member

Not that direct scene I mentioned earlier but here is another...Big Pussy is laid out in spasm as he talks to his boss, Tony Soprano, about some of the stresses in his life. He is of course unable to talk about the biggest stressor in his life, which is the fact that he has become an informant for the FBI and is "ratting out" all of his friends.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    BruceMC likes this.
  18. donavanf

donavanf Well known member

This is a GREAT thread!!!

19. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

I watched The Big Bang Theory last night, here in England. The episode is called The Anxiety Optimisation: When Sheldon gets stuck in a rut with his research, he asks his friends to cure his mental block by raising his stress levels.
    Sheldon is working on proton decay and he says, "Amy, I have got more done in the last few days than I have since I made the switch to dark matter. What if I stop doing this and it all goes away"?
    Amy replies, " Your thoughts and ideas come from you, not from your anxiety".

A good reminder that we are not our symptoms.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  20. Tennis Tom

Thank you, this was a contentious point at the other TMS site, that anxiety was the issue. No, anxiety is a TMS affective (emotional) symptom, like depression and OCD are for example. Whoever wrote the TV show stated it beautifully.

Cheers,
    tt

Zumbafan likes this.