1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS Pain While Sitting

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Steve Ozanich, May 10, 2014.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Dani, this may help explain about oxygen and blood to muscles...

From Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program:

The autonomic nervous system is

responsible for the great majority of

chronic pain conditions. This system

controls the circulation of the blood

in the body: for example, an increase

of blood flow to the cheeks when a

person is embarrassed; a physiological

reaction to a psychological trigger. The

autonomic nervous system can also

reduce blood flow to certain muscles,

nerves, ligaments and tendons in the

body. When this occurs, there is less

oxygen available to the tissues, and

the result will be symptoms, such

as pain, numbness, tingling, and

sometimes weakness4. Various studies

have supported this hypothesis.

2. Dani

Dani New Member

Thanks, Walt. Great insight, as always. I'm just trying to understand pain triggers and I'm probably over-thinking it.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I think triggers come from something that may have happened today to remind you of past stresses.

Maybe do a little more journaling, but don't over-do it and spend too much time on it.

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Oh Dani Girl, "the pipes, the pipes are caaaalling..."

You need to stop trying to reason it out, and let it go. You're TMSing by intellectualizing away your feelings. "Nothing inhibits feeling like thinking, they hinder one another." CG Jung Does any of it matter as to "why?"

Does it matter why you can sit in a house? Do not like it with a mouse? Cannot sit here or there? Do not like (s)it anywhere? Love the Seussman.

Let it all go and free yourself. Usually people ask those types of questions when they doubt they have TMS, but that's normal, don't worry. It shows you're in the middle phases of healing, so you're taking all the correct steps. Good job. Keep going! It's fun to watch people learning to walk on their own.

There are some conditioning factors there, and some proxemic space thingies (technically speaking). So there's work to be done, your basement still needs some sweeping out. But you look like you're on your way, congratulations.

Don't be afraid to ask more questions. Healing is all about building your confidence. But it's also about letting go. People will often ask me to structure their days, ie, tell them when to stand up, and when to relax, and when to laugh, etc. Eg, "Eat at 10 AM, laugh at 10:30, relax from 10:30 to 11, free flow from 11 to 11:10, be spontaneous at 11:15, forget about time from 11:15 to 11:30..."

Get it? The whole idea of healing is to de-structure your life, stop trying to know everything, worry life into submission, trying to get it "perfect." So I tell them to throw their pencils and paper away, there's a new horizon on their horizon. If you want to heal, you have to change your perception of life to a greater awareness of strength and of what matters in life. We can hold more by letting go of what's in or hands.

So you have TMS, that means you have a hidden anger issue, and that your tension rises high while at work because you want to do good and to look good, as to avoid further rejection. That means that you really care, a bit too much, but that's what makes you great! Ease up on trying to know all, and to be all, and begin to live for today in great joy. The day is good, imprison yourself with hope.

You will heal. I promise.... or your money back.

Steve

oneperson and giantsfan like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Here are some photos for Tigerlilly and all our other dog lover friends:

3.jpg 4.jpg

Attached Files:

oneperson and Abbo like this.
  6. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

This is very interesting and helpful but one thing I don't understand about sitting until pain disappears. The pain is caused by mild oxygen deprivation which is a result of fear/conditioning so once One has pain surely it will last until the muscles have enough oxygen again. So is it that the oxygen deprivation only lasts as long as the fear?

Boston Redsox likes this.
  7. Pimpollo

Pimpollo New Member

Steve (and to everyone else as well) that's a fascinating read, you'll be pleased to know your book is on order as a result! This will be my second time turning to Sarno and I thought about starting a whole new topic but since my issue is sitting I'll open my file here if that's OK with everyone.

I've been in awful pain for 17 months now, the same as I had 20 years ago and in these last 17 months I've lost count what I've spent on physio, chiro, acupuncture, more physio, different physio, 2 x mri scans, rhizolisis of 6 facet joints and 2 weeks ago Si joint injections. I can imagine the estimable Dr Sarno nodding as I write I'm not 1% better off thanks to all these treatments.

Washing the car and doing general housework chores can make it worse (it's always there rumbling away in the background) but sitting down, that most benign of activities is my utter nemesis. Since 2002 I've had my 11° wedge to get me through and it did the trick since I got to Calgary and Austin TX from here in the UK. I was a little sore at the end of those flights but most people normally are I guess.

I'm at the unhappy stage of looking across the room as I type (lying down), looking at a chair and I think pain knowing what will happen if I dare to sit down. It's madness I know but that's the situation I'm in. Maybe my 'lot' would be better if my GP hadn't come out with the gem of 'I'm not sure why you bother, it's been going on for so long now it's highly unlikely to be fixed now'. Brilliant, just brilliant is all I can say....

Yesterday I picked up my well thumbed Dr Sarno 'bible' and started to read it again. During my previous spell of pain (1999-2002), excellent and informative forums such as this didn't exist (I presume) and hopefully this will help me now. I would love so much to sit outside a local pub right now but it's just not possible. One thing that puzzles me as I fight this demon again is this - if I sit down for 15 minutes at 9am, I'm still feeling it and it's worse 7 to 8 hours later. If anyone can throw any light on that I'd be eternally grateful.

Anyway, I wish good health to all of this awful affliction, at the minute the fear of pain is sinking me but I'll fight back and let you know.

Best wishes from the UK

oneperson likes this.
  8. intense50

intense50 Well known member

Thank-you Steve in ,2016 could not walk but could sit. 2024 butt pain sciatica. Great refresher article .,.