1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS Support Group?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by EricFeelsThisWay, Jul 26, 2016.

1. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter

I would like to begin an NYC-based support group for people with TMS.
    I have been struggling with symptoms for over 4 years now, and I would greatly benefit from a walk-in group with other people with the condition. I have a lot of insights to contribute, as well.
    Maybe start out meeting every other week somewhere, and then build from there.

Who's interested?

Ines likes this.
  2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

It's a good idea but be careful. Talking about symptoms reinforces them into the psyche and imagination. Talking about the physical aspects is in itself TMSing, ie, bypassing the cause. So if you meet, talk about life, and causes, never body.

It's obvious that TMS begins with isolation, and loneliness. The perceived separation generates great rage that leads to TMS. Sometimes groups gather to feel connected, even the TMS docs tell me they see patients come in because they have no one to talk to at home. So be careful with how you do it, healing won't occur until the TMS work is done, individually, by the person.

Support is good, but don't trip over lines line.

3. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter

Interesting. I assumed there was a reason that in-person groups like this didn't exist already given the Discussion Forum's availability via threads and call-in sessions. I mean, what's more TMS-ey and Type A personality than another weekly commitment where you support other people, right?? Hehe.
    I know that a fundamental tenant of Sarno's philosophy is that talking about the symptoms prolongs them. Maybe the group would be more about discussing the personality traits and present-day and early life syressors that contribute to the syndrome rather than talking about the symptoms themselves.

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

There ya go! That's good, talk about insights and mistakes made in healing, and things like personality, such as, TMSers aren't type A, they are Type T. Support is good up and to a point, everyone needs to do the work themselves in the end. Dr. Sarno went back and forth on support groups, and I've seen some that were of great help and others that retarded healing. I think hope is the answer. People need light to guide them, and then to follow it. Give them hope, teach them some, and then send them home. No TMS bums allowed to loiter.