1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tool for anxiety management?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ollin, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

EFT really works. I'm sceptical and reluctant to do things which I don't understand, but this time was desperate...

I've learnt about tapping from 2011 Summit but I guess I wasn't ready for it. Because of TMS I have the general oversensitivity problem and I find myself easily triggered by relatively minor events. Now, I had a real crisis yesterday and the day before, sleepless night in between - anxiety and pain fuelled up by catastrophic thinking, I couldn't stop ruminating and felt like I had no control over my feelings. Encouraged by this interview http://www.thetappingsolution.com/2012VideoSeries/?page_id=17 I finally decided to give tapping a go - I tapped on my fears, helplessness, the triggers (uncovering layers of issues like in journaling)... and after a few rounds I was calm and composed, and managed to get on with some tasks I previously dreaded. As I found an upsetting email this morning I got again edgy today but again I tapped, and cried, and came out cleansed. No pain today (so far).
    Nick Ortner talks about addressing anger to relieve back pain and calming the fight or flight response – so some might want to check it too :)

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I only know a little about EFT, but one of my friends teaches it and it seems to help a lot of people. It's kind of similar to EMDR right?

3. quert

quert Guest

I saw this fairly good intro to EFT video

It may seem a little strange at first, but IMO if this works and helps you handle strong emotions then go for it. I have a hard time dealing with some of my strong emotions and anxiety and if tapping helps me uncover my repressed emotions then I would do it. TMS work, especially journaling, can uncover a whole bunch of strong emotions and maybe this technique could help people release all of that pent up energy.

G.R. and Beach-Girl like this.
  4. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I've only done a little EFT, once for general relaxation which it helped with, and once when I had a really horrible migraine and it didn't do much for me. I am a big believer in energy healing as a whole, though, but I do think the key is knowing the the pain/symptoms of TMS are psychological in origin. I think energy healing can help "loosen up" feelings a bit, but then we need to look at those feelings and where they are coming from.

Quert, I hear you on the strong emotions/journaling. I think that's why I took a break from jounaling for a while and decided to go through things more slowly going forward.

5. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi:

I tried the tapping, but it did nothing for me. I think I didn't give enough of a chance. But Veronica and Forest bring up good points. The tapping is a temporary solution to some underlying issues. Writing in a journal, making lists, writing more in your journal, and meditation have all helped me.

And I totally agree that there does come a time when you need a break and work with what you've discovered. Bringing up all this stuff can be hard sometimes.

Good luck !

BG