1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tooth pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Thelauriebelle1, Apr 18, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thelauriebelle1

Thelauriebelle1 Peer Supporter

Hi everyone! As many of you can probably relate, symptoms are going crazy due to the covid scare. Mine certainly have. I’m having a bothersome tooth pain under a crown I had placed several years ago. The pain has come and gone over the years but it’s really bothering me now. I can’t go to the dentist which is causing more anxiety and I’m wondering if anyone can ease my mind. Thanks in advance!!

2. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

Hi. I am pretty sure your tooth pain is TMS. I have them off and on and most days. I will get a jaw ache and scare myself half to death that it is something scary or dangerous. And then it goes away! Some success that I have had recently is just speaking very gently to the tooth and telling it that I know it's TMS and thank you for the attempted distraction but all is well and I am doing fine (may be a bit of a lie since Covid19 hell on earth) but usually I can get it to settle. Can you also try warm salt water? It can be very soothing and healing but mostly, just knowing this is TMS really can help. I believe even Dr. Sarno had a toothache and attributed it to the Symptom Imperative. Hugs to you.

plum likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/search/1366130/?q=teeth&o=date (Search Results for Query: teeth | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome))

Also, tooth, Molar and Jaw are good searches.
    We've had a lot of discussions on this. Even Sarno had mystery Molar pain and discussed it in 'MindBody Prescription'. Just like the sciatic nerves in the back, we have trigeminal nerves to the face which can make for all kinds of TMS stuff. In Japan, 'Mystery tooth pain' is actually a big deal...some people go back to the dentist over and over and there just isn't anything there. I am pretty sure I have lost some of my teeth to TMS/TMJ clenching that shattered them.

...and like most fear based stuff, it usually comes up when we can't check it out. Your observation about not being able to go to the dentist is important .... TMS always likes to be scary

Dorado, plum and Kittyruns like this.
  4. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

@Baseball65 excellent post! TMS DOES always like to be scary! And I totally feel my jaw clench even thinking about it sometimes. I have lost four teeth to various procedures, horrible dentists, fear, worry and pain. TMS awareness is what has helped me stop the pain in its tracks.

plum and Baseball65 like this.
  5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I’ve written a lot about this over the years and I can assure you that TMS loves hanging out in the teeth. The jaw is *the* most beloved place of repressed anger and that tension easily spills into the mouth, neck, shoulders and face. The Trigeminal nerve is also a TMS hotspot.

Explore the searches provided by @Baseball65 and you’ll find plenty of discussion on this. Likewise search for ones by me with keywords “TMJ” “ trigeminal neuralgia” and “teeth” and you should find some good threads that’ll help.

Kittyruns and Patrisia like this.
  6. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I’ve experienced pain in my teeth from TMS. One tooth hurt like crazy for YEARS when I put pressure on it. The pain started after a horrible, contentious break up that cost me most of my lame friends who sided with someone living a double life and cheating. Nothing ever showed on my x-rays, so I never mentioned it to my dentists (I moved around my city a bit and had a few). I forgot about it... and it’s gone. :)

Kittyruns likes this.
  7. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

As others have so aptly pointed out, it could be TMS. I have experienced my share of tooth, gum, and jaw pain due to TMS. Best option is to rule out a physical issue by seeing a dentist.

However, sometimes it could be an actual cavity. Since you can’t see a dentist I highly recommend trying Dr. Ellie Phillips’s home care program. if it is a physical issue, it can really help.

Here’s a blog post I wrote about it.
    https://www.fredamir.com/single-post/2019/09/28/Save-Your-Teeth-And-Gums

8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Locking this thread, as it has attracted several spam posts since 2020 (and Fred in fact responded to a 2021 post which was edited a couple days later to insert a spam link, so the post was was deleted, leaving his comment kind of hanging out there).

Old threads about dental topics attract spammers for some reason, almost as often as old threads about CBD/THC/etc.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.