1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Daniel L. Vertigo and TMS

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi
    I have dizziness and Vertigo . I would like to know where I start to help me work on my inner stress which I think is causing this dizziness. Can you point my in some kind of direction ? I have read Sarno's book . And I am not new to the TMS. I am just having a another bad spell of Dizziness now and what to try and help myself .
    Thanks

2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Dizziness and Vertigo are usually TMS symptoms. Knowing that, you should treat these symptoms just like any other TMS symptoms. And when I say that, remember that you are trying to eliminate the fear and preoccupation around the symptoms – not the symptoms themselves. Once you eliminate the fear and preoccupation, the symptoms will follow.

If your symptoms scare you (and how could they not), then you know exactly what to do. Lean into the fear. Do things that scare you – all the while coaching yourself through it to keep fear at a minimum and keep your anxiety low. Early on, when the vertigo and dizziness are the most intense, it will be difficult to coach yourself through situations when the symptoms show up, but take your time and know that it will take persistence.

One of the traps we fall into is thinking that our symptom (vertigo) is totally different from someone else’s back pain (for example). The reality is, however, that the symptoms may be different, but the cause is the same. Remind yourself of that when you’re reading the forum here on the wiki. Everyone’s story can be helpful to you, even if the symptoms feel very different.

If you haven’t already, I recommend seeing a physician to help diminish the fear around the symptoms. If you’ve done that, then it’s up to you to dive in and attack this fear head on. Don’t let fear of your symptoms get in the way of living the life you want to live. It won’t happen overnight, but your symptoms will fade as you decrease that fear and anxiety.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.