1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

All the Rage Film WE GOT A PRESS HIT!! Huffington Post did a story

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Caroline Rumur, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

By the way, I tracked down an older article on HuffPo about TMS written by TMS therapist Colleen Perry, MFT. I wanted to see if the comments were any better that time. I suspect that things were a little better, but, to be honest, it's tough to tell as there just weren't that many comments. I thought I'd share, though:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2012080...perry/treating-chronic-pain---t_b_265351.html
    (I had to include a link to the internet archive because HuffPo changed it's comment software over to Facebook and is no longer displaying the old comments.)

2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Induced coma!?! Wow that's amazing.
    I understand why though, I often induced my own coma with whisky to avoid pain

3. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Thanks for sharing that Forest. And thanks for the words approving what I wrote. You are more eloquent and diplomatic than I so it is with a certain amount of hesitation when I wrote spontaneously into public comments.

4. Forest

@Eric "Herbie" Watson wrote about dulling the pain with Night Train in one of the chapters of his book:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/God_Does_Not_Want_You_to_Be_in_Pain_-_The_First_Five_Chapters

I actually know a TMS Therapist who recovered from RSD, the condition people are trying the Ketamine comas for. Apparently they give you enough of the recreational drug Ketamine to put you in a coma. It's not legal in US hospitals, but can be done elsewhere:
    http://www.rsds.org/5/news/2009/August/PEOPLE_10_192.html
    I'm not completely convinced RSD is TMS, though. I've seen photos of it and the swelling that comes with it is eerie. I don't generally think of swelling, especially not on that scale, as being part of TMS. It might be, of course, but I think the responsible thing in some cases is just to admit that we don't know.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  5. Forest

I honestly thought that you rocked it, Enrique. I was just looking over the comments earlier tonight and I couldn't help noticing that you were everywhere. (tim and others, too)

Enrique likes this.
  6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

As disheartening as it was to read all those negative comments, I feel very honored and grateful to be associated with an advocacy movement that is represented by such articulate and compassionate people as Forest and Enrique. (There were others, too, that I'm not familiar with.)

You guys did a great job!

I realize that I've been living in kind of a bubble by hanging out on this wiki and reading TMS and other mindbody books. I forget how controversial Sarno's theories are. I'm certainly aware that there are people who have TMS who are not ready to hear and accept the TMS concept, but I didn't realize how many people are completely hostile to the idea. Reality check!

7. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Forest, I have never heard of RSD, but I remembered reading Steve Ozanich's hands swelling right in front of his eyes. He even wondered if they might explode. Then he made me laugh by asking if his health insurance would cover exploding hands!
    Distractions from our emotions sure can be startling at times.

8. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

The hostility comes with the general stigma surrounding mental health and One spin off of the TMS hypothesis is that our brains understand this and choose to manifest physical symptoms. People would rather moan about their back pain than their frustration at being rejected by their parent(or some equivalent).

mike2014 likes this.
  9. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Hey now... how about some love for me. I started the comments in the first place. ;) :D (I'm Tim Wells, for those of you who don't know).

Yes. I think this is very hard to accept. First, what your Doctor is telling you is probably not the cause of your pain.... and second, the pain is actually caused by a process initiated in the brain. I can totally see why many people don't believe it. It takes a great deal of reprogramming your thinking to process and accept that. When I found out about Dr. Sarno, I desperately wanted to believe it. So that made my journey a bit easier. But not everyone has that attitude.

I truly hope we are on cusp of a change in peoples attitude's toward mind/body illness. But to be honest, I'm skeptical. I've had very little success in getting people to buy into this program.

All we can do is fight the good fight and be grateful that we found this amazing gift ourselves. I hope and believe that Michael's film will go a long way in spreading the message and bringing in new recruits.

Ellen, Peggy and mike2014 like this.
  10. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I think the change will take a long while and it will only have a positive effect when you come across someone who has tried everything and failed - only then will they open up and accept the concept. If you can imagine we are the conscious 5% who understand the concept, trying to teach the unconscious 95% of the world. It's will take persistence and a lot of determination to change peoples attitudes and thoughts.

It's also really difficult for someone to accurately convey what TMS is in such a short article who hasn't had any first hand experience. People are always to quick to judge without seeing evidence or there being a consistent approach within the Medical world. We may not have won this battle, but lets fight to win the war!

Cap'n Spanky and Peggy like this.
  11. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

The whole coma thing reminds me of Michael Jackson, taking heavy doses to sleep.

My daughter is recovering from a concussion. It has been almost 2 years, so I think her symptoms are a learned response. If I suggest that every once in a while she gets really angry at me. So, I think she is dealing with a lot of anger from loosing her soccer "career", soccer friends, and she had been trying out for the national team shortly before the concussion. So, she is mad at me for any suggestion that she can work through it psychologically (while following doctors back to exercise routine). I think everyone out there is a little like that. They are angry at what they have lost and find that really difficult to deal with. I am sure it took all of us a long time before were ready to accept TMS. I find it a little sad sometimes and yet I also feel that is just the way it is. Maybe with more exposure to the world about the realities of pain just being lack of oxygen, and other knowledge we call TMS, people will slowly figure it out. I am guessing there will actually be leaps of knowledge when this film comes out.

Those are just my thoughts about the whole thing . . .

12. Forest

Yes, you were awesome, too! But I'm pretty privacy focused and didn't want to out you, depending on your privacy preferences. You definitely rocked, too, though. It was really great having so many of us there, representing TMSers well, patiently telling our stories and compassionately sharing what we know.

I think it's great that we are meeting one another, as well. It is so much easier to spread a message like this when you have friends and people you respect to do it with. Here's my Facebook profile in case anyone wants to keep touch:
    https://www.facebook.com/forestfortrees

In terms of larger social change, I like to measure our progress in the success stories posted in the success stories subforum. I read all of them and if we convinced just one person with our comments to get a book and heal, then it all will have been very well worth it.

13. Enrique

Thanks Forest and Ellen. I WAS everywhere! haha

Forest likes this.
  14. Cap'n Spanky

Well in fairness Forrest, you thanked me early on and I appreciate that!! You are alway so thoughtful and sensitive to everyone's feelings. I was just feeling a bit left out of the acknowledgements. Probably my own fault for having a weird user name.

I agree with your sentiments regarding social change. You do so much around here to help spread the message and help folks. My hat is off to you. You're definitely a huge part of the solution and you probably don't get thanked enough. So thank you, Forrest!!!

Forest likes this.
  15. Enrique

Oh! I didn't know that! Very cool. Yeah, your comments were great!

Yes, who knows I guess. I seem to notice a few things. One is a perceived increased activity on the forum. I tend to drop in and out depending on my personal time. It feels like since the last time I popped in, the level of forum posts has really grown a lot. Secondly, the PPD facebook page is always adding new "Likes" It wasn't that long ago that we were excited about getting 100 likes... now we're at 1307 as to today. We seem to add numbers on a weekly basis. A third thing I notice is that "mindfulness" is everywhere. I even saw it on the cover of Time magazine recently. It seems to me that since the time I was introduced to TMS in 2007 and today (just 7 years) that there is a tide that is turning. Hard to really know how long it will take for critical mass to hit. Did anyone here read Malcom Gladwell's "Tipping Point"? He talks about how small things can cause huge change in a matter of time.

This below is from the books Amazon page:
    "The tipping point is that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire. Just as a single sick person can start an epidemic of the flu, so too can a small but precisely targeted push cause a fashion trend, the popularity of a new product, or a drop in the crime rate."

I remember reading this book a few years ago and thinking that TMS acceptance will happen like this... slow at first, with little things happening... the Wiki being built, the forum being upgraded, all the wonderful things that Forest adds to the PPD support offerings, this documentary being produced, etc, etc. Each thing adds to the mix and eventually, BAM!, the tipping point is reached and it "spreads like wildfire". This is what I imagine will happen, but how long will that take is anyone's guess.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  16. Cap'n Spanky

Thanks, Enrique... as were your comments!!

60 Minutes did a story on mindfulness last Sunday. Anderson Cooper said it changed his life.

lorrie likes this.
  17. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Didnt know that was you. Loved what you wrote! Thanks!

Forest and Cap'n Spanky like this.
  18. lorrie

lorrie New Member

Well YOU GOT ME! Eight years. That is a long, long time. I'm thrilled and mortified. I've fought so hard to have fibromyalgia recognized as a real disease. That my pain was real.

I will be eternally grateful.

19. Forest

Heya, IrishSceptic, I'm happy to say that it's a false alarm! :) I'm happy to say that @lorrie has already started a thread in the support forum and seems super nice:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/hi-im-new.6802/

Welcome, @lorrie! welcomeawavea

We're a bit frustrated here because some of the commenters at the Huffington Post were pretty negative and I'm sure you understand how hard it can be to try to help people and be treated unkindly. But we're super glad to hear that you're open and ready to try something new.

By the way, I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. ... By Don Goldenberg, in fact - one of the guys who first created the diagnosis. I never got a chance to reply to your other thread, but I would say that the first step, before jumping into a program, is probably to read a book. The programs are really wonderful, but they're best for someone who has already read a book that lays things out in a systematic manner.

You might want to take a look at a TMS book called "Freedom From Fibromyalgia" by Nancy Selfridge, MD. You can find it on Amazon. Dr. Selfridge suffered from Fibromyalgia herself until she was able to cure it using a program that she developed based on Dr. Sarno's ideas. If you're looking for a TMS book already, that might be a good one to check out since you've got the same diagnosis.

Different people heal at different rates. It helps to not worry about how long it takes and, instead, to develop a natural curiosity about how TMS works. This helps because of something that Dr. Sarno called the "Rage/Soothe" ratio, which I think is an important part of healing. Whatever, happens, I'm sure that it will take a lot less than 8 years to heal!

Wishing you the best in your recovery...

20. lorrie

lorrie New Member

Oh my, I was not very clear was I? Three minutes after I read the article I felt the pain in my legs go away. Mostly. Like down from an 8 to a 2.

I'm mortified that I wasted 8 years of my life in misery and that I missed my children's childhood. They were 8 and 6 and they are now 16 and 14 and know Mom as a moaning lump in bed.

I'm mortified that the degrees I worked for are not being used now. I hope they can be used in the future! I was put on earth to teach.

I felt the answer was so close but never quite there..I've done a lot of clearing..nothing helped...

Ironically I was already weaning myself off morphine once I realized it was causing gastrointestinal distress and not helping with the pain and during 30 minute intervals I would grab my phone for a news check and saw the HuffPo article.

I'm a southern girl born & bred and an ardent Democrat and former legal aid attorney so I'm quite used to people vehemently disagreeing with my view on life.

But I'm ready to espouse the cause!

Namaste!

Lorrie

I hope my friends at least will consider this. I am under no illusion that it will be an easy sell.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    Cap'n Spanky and mike2014 like this.