1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Lifting with TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ShaneM, Mar 29, 2016.

1. ShaneM

ShaneM Peer Supporter

Quick question for everyone here; after a ridiculous amount of searching and treatments I've finally understood TMS to it's fullest extent. I had approached it entirely wrong in the past and plan to correct that error and really have at it this time around, but one thing is holding me back.

TMS is essentially chronic tension causing trigger points & muscle spasms which therefore cause chronic pain. One of the main points in TMS treatment is returning to physical activity. Can I begin to weight lift again? Weight lifting breaks down the muscle and rebuilds it so... if the muscle is tense will that build up a tense muscle instead of a natural one? I have a good feeling this is TMS again keeping me stuck but I thought I'd ask here to see what people had to say.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Shane it's best to relieve the tension produced by tms first or get it close to gone before you start weight lifting. I don't believe you'll build bigger tensed muscles though, tms is already doing that.

3. ShaneM

ShaneM Peer Supporter

I'm asking if there's a negative to lifting weights with TMS? I can do it without much pain; I'm just worried about building up tensed muscles is all. Weight lifting is something I really enjoy doing so I'd hate to have to wait to do it, and if there's no chance of building chronically tensed muscles then I've no intention to give it up.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I think you'll be fine then, you don't build tensed muscles through weight lifting, you build tension in your muscle by stressing, mental stress that is, so don't fear it at all and you'll do just fine. I did, I love weightlifting too, it's a passion of mine.